When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who will service Asian clone 2836-2 GMT movement?

mjmurphy926

I got a great deal on a GMT II ceramic Pro Hunter w/ Asian clone 2836-2 movement. I have fallen in love with this watch, but I can't get it satisfactorily regulated. It seems to run well during the day, but it slows down a couple seconds at night unless I keep it in my winder. It is also pretty sticky when adjusting time. I'm pretty sure a proper tear down and service would do wonders, but The Zigmeister won't touch these movements (Asian or ETA).

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Mike

I hope you can find some one to work on your 2836-2 movement. I was about a week away from ordering a Pam GMT with this same movement. Then I read The Zigmeisters repair review, no thanks. :nono: By tor also had problems with the 2836-2. Did you know about the Issues with this movement before you made the purchase? Not that it realy matters now. Good luck :) Mike

I hope you can find some one to work on your 2836-2 movement. I was about a week away from ordering a Pam GMT with this same movement. Then I read The Zigmeisters repair review, no thanks. :nono: By tor also had problems with the 2836-2. Did you know about the Issues with this movement before you made the purchase? Not that it realy matters now. Good luck :) Mike

Sorry, I should have stated that this is the WHS (wrong hand stack) or IHS (incorrect hand stack) movement that is supposed to be much more reliable than the CHS version.

By-Tor says he has had good luck with the ETA version of this movement, but no experience with the clone version (but he says he's heard reports that it is less reliable than the ETA).

The GMT function actually works well on mine, it just seems kind of sticky and I was equating that to dryness. It doesn't seem that I can adjust it enough to get the time in the +2 to 5 second range I desire. I have the screw adjusted to full + and still get about - 3 seconds per day.

Just because I don't post 200+ times per month doesn't mean I don't read this these forums. ;) I am well aware of the issues and the fact that Zig doesn't work on them, but like I said, I got a great deal and was willing to take a chance. If I can't find a watchsmith to service it, I'll just deal with it running a little slow.

hi

Just remember that when you are wearing the watch . You temperature also

warm up the watch and may cause slight changes .

Another point is that, with my watches. I sit it down in different positions

will cause it to run faster or slower. e.g. with the crown down. My sub

will run 1 or 2 second faster at night.

check these out with your watch first .

hi

Thanks for the reminder...I have heard that before, but honestly, I had forgotten.

This is the only watch I have that varies this much, but I'll try to lay it crown down and see what happens.

Thanks!!

Sorry, I should have stated that this is the WHS (wrong hand stack) or IHS (incorrect hand stack) movement that is supposed to be much more reliable than the CHS version.

By-Tor says he has had good luck with the ETA version of this movement, but no experience with the clone version (but he says he's heard reports that it is less reliable than the ETA).

The GMT function actually works well on mine, it just seems kind of sticky and I was equating that to dryness. It doesn't seem that I can adjust it enough to get the time in the +2 to 5 second range I desire. I have the screw adjusted to full + and still get about - 3 seconds per day.

Just because I don't post 200+ times per month doesn't mean I don't read this these forums. ;) I am well aware of the issues and the fact that Zig doesn't work on them, but like I said, I got a great deal and was willing to take a chance. If I can't find a watchsmith to service it, I'll just deal with it running a little slow.

What I gave you was a sincere reply to your post, why the snotty response, you tell me. I never insinuated that you dont read these forums. How was I supossed to know when you purchased the watch? You said nothing about taking a chance Thats why I asked if you were aware of the problems before you purchased the watch. :doh: Where you get this 200 per month post thing is beyond me. I mean what does that have to do with anything? I had know Idea you knew so much. If I would have known about your extensive knowledge I would not have not responed. The thing I cant figure out elvis ;) If your so dam smart, why ask any questions? Considering that your so well aware of the issues and all. The next time someone responds to your post just say thanks, or maybe better yet say nothing at all. Just a thought.

What I gave you was a sincere reply to your post, why the snotty response, you tell me. I never insinuated that you dont read these forums. How was I supossed to know when you purchased the watch? You said nothing about taking a chance Thats why I asked if you were aware of the problems before you purchased the watch. :doh: Where you get this 200 per month post thing is beyond me. I mean what does that have to do with anything? I had know Idea you knew so much. If I would have known about your extensive knowledge I would not have not responed. The thing I cant figure out elvis ;) If your so dam smart, why ask any questions? Considering that your so well aware of the issues and all. The next time someone responds to your post just say thanks, or maybe better yet say nothing at all. Just a thought.

Easy there big fella...I don't think my response was a bit snotty. Did you catch the part where I said I should have explained that it was an IHS movement?

I was simply pointing out that the movement that both The Zigmeister and By-Tor had bad luck with was the CHS movement. There IS a difference.

You shook your finger at me and asked if I had ever heard that before. That's why I felt compelled to tell you that I read MUCH more than I post, so yes, I am aware of the issues with 2836 based GMT movements. But that wasn't even the question I asked. I asked if anyone knew of a person who services these movements.

I think I'm anything but a know it all. Look through all my posts over the last 3 years. See if you can find a single post where I misinformed anyone with knowledge I claimed to have, but didn't.

So no lectures please, I think my etiquette on these boards has been just fine.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Guest carlsbadrolex

If I am reading your posts correctly, you have regulated it to -3 seconds per 24hrs??? If that is the case, leave it alone!

Thats very respectable, and really not worth having the watch serviced.

Just my $.02

If I am reading your posts correctly, you have regulated it to -3 seconds per 24hrs??? If that is the case, leave it alone!

Thats very respectable, and really not worth having the watch serviced.

Just my $.02

Yeah...I know CBR...I just hate it when my watches run slow. I'd rather have them run fast so all I have to do to set them to the correct time is to pull the crown out for a few seconds.

I know...Pretty anal.. :D But you're right...I'll probably just let it go.

Easy there big fella...I don't think my response was a bit snotty. Did you catch the part where I said I should have explained that it was an IHS movement?

I was simply pointing out that the movement that both The Zigmeister and By-Tor had bad luck with was the CHS movement. There IS a difference.

You shook your finger at me and asked if I had ever heard that before. That's why I felt compelled to tell you that I read MUCH more than I post, so yes, I am aware of the issues with 2836 based GMT movements. But that wasn't even the question I asked. I asked if anyone knew of a person who services these movements.

I think I'm anything but a know it all. Look through all my posts over the last 3 years. See if you can find a single post where I misinformed anyone with knowledge I claimed to have, but didn't.

So no lectures please, I think my etiquette on these boards has been just fine.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Pm sent

Thanks again for the reminder david. This worked...I actually got the watch to gain 1 1/2 sec overnight. :tu:

And one more thing, just to set the record straight. maxman is a good man. If my smartass joke offended in any way, my apologies.

:drinks: