When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do I press the cannonpin back on a eta 6497-1 movement

Hi there!

I have taken away the cannonpin on my eta 6497-1 movement and want to put a longer ( 3,15mm ! ) one there instead!

But I need help because I do not know how to press the new cannonpin back again!

I know it is fidded with friction but how hard must I press it back without distroying anything ?

Would be VERY happy for some advice!!!!!

I use a staking set bit, but anything with a similar shape that fits around the pinion's shaft will do

stakingbit0031.jpg

Press fairly hard until you hear the pinion bottom onto the plate. It is impossible to explain how hard is too hard, but somewhere between not hard enough & just right the pinion will slide down the arbor & lock into place. Be careful to have the teeth on the adjacent wheel lined up with the cannon pinion's teeth as you press it down or you may damage them.

Thanks a lot Freddy for Your advice!

Do You use that tool ( You showed ! ) and press it down with hand force or do You use some kind of press ( crystalpress!!)

Is it not important to press vertically down so You do not bend the axle ?

I use a staking set bit, but anything with a similar shape that fits around the pinion's shaft will do

stakingbit0031.jpg

Press fairly hard until you hear the pinion bottom onto the plate. It is impossible to explain how hard is too hard, but somewhere between not hard enough & just right the pinion will slide down the arbor & lock into place. Be careful to have the teeth on the adjacent wheel lined up with the cannon pinion's teeth as you press it down or you may damage them.