When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super Sea Dweller Bezel bent

valerian

Hi everyone.

I have a lovely SSDv2 which I got from Chris half a year ago. It's beautiful but needed a bezel insert replacement. I got one from Watchmaterial with a very good pearl. This item is sitting on my desk at the moment as I tried to solve another problem:

The bezel was slightly too loose so I removed it using a pocket knife (never use a swiss pocket knive on a chinese watch!) for bending up the two small springs that make the bezel click on the SSD.

Needless to say that: First I cut myself in the forefinger and second: I bent the bezel slightly by removing it. (I also scratched the case, but that's no problem, I like the used look on a tool watch).

Sooooo. My question would be: Does anybody have an idea how to straighten the bezel back? It now changes from soft click to almost fixed when I turn it. Or do I have to get a bezel replacement?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance! :)

Yours kindly

Valerian

I cannot imagine how you could have bent the bezel (or do you mean the insert) while removing it, but you can try setting it upside-down on a table & then lifting whichever area is bent with the same knife that bent it originally. Failing that, I think you are going to have to contact the seller to see about getting a replacement. You might also be able to buy an aftermarket bezel on ebay (I do not know who sells them, but I have seen them for sale there over the years).

I cannot imagine how you could have bent the bezel (or do you mean the insert) while removing it, but you can try setting it upside-down on a table & then lifting whichever area is bent with the same knife that bent it originally. Failing that, I think you are going to have to contact the seller to see about getting a replacement. You might also be able to buy an aftermarket bezel on ebay (I do not know who sells them, but I have seen them for sale there over the years).

Sorry for late reaction, been away for the weekend. And thanks Freddy for your hint. After reading your answer I tried to bend back the bezel (NOT the insert, of course) which turned out to be impossible. So your comment was quiete to the point: I obviously didn't bend it the first time round, it's way too solid. It was most probably bent from the beginning.

My not being able to turn the bezel seems to be the result of something else. I'll try to find out what it is. Probably something with the spring.

So sorry for the noob confusion here.

Thanks guys for your help!

Yours kindly

Valerian

If the bezel does not turn, the 'flat' tensioning spring below the bezel (which places a small amount of upward pressure on the bottom of the bezel) is either damaged or just bent too much (most likely the latter). However, the bezel on Subs & SDs is designed to stay in position when not being moved. Normally, to move the bezel, you press down on it (this compresses the tensioning spring) & then it should turn freely. If that does not work, I would carefully pry off the bezel using a dull knife (you might want to tape the case wherever you place the knife to protect it from scratches) & try flattening out the tensioning spring. You will probably need to do a few test-fittings to get the spring tension correct, but it is pretty easy to what is happening once you remove the bezel.