When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tag Link Chrono - Strap Pin Repair?

jitensyaotaku

I bought a Tag Link Chrono fro, Josh about 1.5yrs ago... Been wearing is pretty much every day and still works like a charm... Well, apart from one of the pins that holds the strap into the watch face (bezel?) has come out. Not completely, but I'd like to fix it before I lose the watch when it eventually fails...

Looks like the back of the watch has to be removed to access / replace the pin.

Any advice on doing this?

Overall, I love the watch... :D

Thanks for the replies. Not saying that I'm not comfortable doing it... Just not sure of the procedure :) Sounds like replacing the spring bar won't require removing the back off the watch... What's the method for removing the spring bar(s)? I've got a mental image of how to install...

If you aren't comfortable with replacing a spring bar, I'd highly suggest you just take it to a watchsmith. If you don't have a watchsmith, a jewlery repair place in the mall will do fine. Should be a cheap fix.

Found this link :)

http://www.ehow.com/how_4856375_replace-ta...-watchband.html

My question now is what length do I need? 8, 9, 10, or 11mm spring bars?

Thanks for the replies. Not saying that I'm not comfortable doing it... Just not sure of the procedure :) Sounds like replacing the spring bar won't require removing the back off the watch... What's the method for removing the spring bar(s)? I've got a mental image of how to install...
Edited by jitensyaotaku

You will not have to pull the caseback. Just get a replacement spring bar. Test fit it without the bracelet to insure it is a secure fit. You can use a push pin to install it if you don't have the tool. Its really a simple fix, would be lesson 1 of watch repair. You'll be replacing balance cocks before you know it! :D

• 1 month later...
Found this link :)

http://www.ehow.com/how_4856375_replace-ta...-watchband.html

My question now is what length do I need? 8, 9, 10, or 11mm spring bars?

IIRC the lug width on the Link is 22mm. I can measure it tonight when I get home and let you know for sure.

The problem I have found with metal bracelets is that even thought the lug size is 22mm or whatever you don't have the room to make them work because the metal band will not bend so to speak the same way rubber or leather will. Sometimes you have to use a 20mm springbar which will still fit but give you a bit of extra play.

I am wearing my link chrono right now and looking at the springbar they seem to be the type that are bent on the ends rather than straight. I am not quite sure where to get thoes.

If you need straight springbars you can order them from a million places online and they are not that expensive. You can probably get 4 or so 20mm and 4 or so 22mm for less than $10.00 which would be enough to keep some for spares to use in the future.