When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SSD with new insert

pierre22

Last week I received a SSD from Chris (Eurotimez). Easy transaction and it took 7 days from order to my doorstep. Beautiful watch and perfect QA as promised.

Only problem is that I asked for delivery at my office and instead I got a call from the wife: You sent me a gift from China... I guess I am not alone getting theses remark!

Originally I wanted to buy a nice one for sale here already modded but since I got no answer back after a PM to the seller I decided to do it myself. So first step I ordered a new bezel insert from Watchmaterial.

Yesterday, after reading a tutorial on how to change the insert on a sub I prepared myself for an evening of sanding. After removing the old insert (intact) surprise! The new one fit perfectly without any kind of adjustment and with the perfect bezel height above the insert (compared to my gen GMT-Master).

I used small drops of marine silicone sealant so I can eventually replace it if needed and after 5 minutes total here are the results:

img6356s.jpg

img6344s.jpg

img6354s.jpg

On the left is the old insert and on the right, the blue insert is reserved for an upcoming Blue TT 16613 not yet ordered.

The new pearl has a very nice and strong glow. I might have to consider a relume for a perfect match.

I also sanded the crown a little bit to unsharpen the edges.

Just a trick I want to share. To clean the bracelet I give it a WD-40 bath followed by cleaning with dishwashing soap. The acidity of the WD-40 removes all dirt inside the link and oxidations on the surface of the bracelet. I can't tell the difference in feel and look from my gen.

Beauty.

Funny, I ordered several of the 16610/16613 WM inserts for my Subs, and while I was ordering had them throw in the 315-16660-01 , for, as you say; a 'not yet ordered' watch, the SSD. I do like the DSSD, but I think I prefer the classic here. For me. Perhaps I'll chance Chris as well.

Enjoy the watch!

I made a comment about the crystal not having a cyclops, but after looking around a bit, I see that gens also are available this way. I'm torn about having it Vs not having it. I like the cleaner look, and certainly the ease of keeping the crystal clean- seems that mine always has a ring around it, and takes a lot more effort to get that part cleaned. It also seems to me that it's easier to see the date without the cyclops, as I have to twist my wrist a little more to read it without looking through the edge of the mag. I suppose after doing it for a while it becomes a learn behavior though... I'll worry about changing it some other day, my first concern is replacing the insert, so off I go to find one. So far, the one from Watch Material seems to fill the bill.