When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vaclume Tag?

asahi

So I've noticed that people who get the vaclume treatment has it for thier PAM's, Breitlings, IWC, etc. but I havent seen a vaclume Tag. Why is this? Is it b/c its not worth it? If anything it makes the rep more valuable right?

There are ultimate PAM's but where are the ultimate Tag Aquaracer Chrono? ^_^ I'm thinking about putting in an ETA day/date wheel, relume everything, and with shipping will run me $200 bucks. Thats almost $500 dollars watch + vac treatment.

I can see the appeal with the PAM's b/c they run into the thousands so having an ultimate version would be swell. The gen aquaracer can be had for $1200-2k. So am I to assume its not worth it?

PS: Anyone know how to replace the "pearl" on the bezel of the rep aquaracer? It should be white but its green. :o

Thanks! Pics coming soon as soon as I can pick it up b/c it was shipped across town and I work tuesday-saturday so I just need to make some time to pick it up.

yeah.. been wanting to mod my aquaracer as well... not much of infos on modded tag..

so far best i can tink of is :-

1) change to ETA7750 - can be sourced

2) change to genuine bezel - so far no luck on ebay for this parts

3) vaclume dial & hands to match pearl on gen bezel

4) change to gen SS strap - brand new cost near $400.. my AD is able to order for me.. :)

hhhmmmm...

wats else??

so do u think by doin a complete modding as above, it would be wise to get a wholly gen TAG?? ;)

The lume on Tags is generally not all the exciting...so fewer people are motivated to do it. I have a Carrera coming in, and think I will pass on it, as it's just the fill in the baton markers and the hands...nothing like the amount of lume applied on a sausage dial, or even the look of lume pools in a sandwich dial. My IWC Aquatimer is of course, the ultimate lume job (it's the blue lume job in the middle of The Zigmeister's signature).

As well, PAMs generally cost about 2x or more than the Tags, and there are generally more things out of the box wrong with them: floppy levers, too thin/thick crowns, low cannon pinion, wrong Tritium/SL markings on dial, wrong A's, etc that really throw zealots in a knot. People who want a Pam are willing to pay more for a watch that lists at $7,000 than a Tag that lists at $3,000.

The high end reps of the Aquaracer and Carrera are considered excellent out of the box...and not requiring many mods, so I think more people are willing to leave things as is.