When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cartier Santos XXL 7753 Replacement Movement

RIBOOWW2

My Cartier Santos XXL has died on me. I think it has an Asian 7750 modified to a 7753 tricompax (dials @ 3,6,12; date at 4).

Thought of getting a genuine replacement ETA 7753 but pretty expensive and quite hard to come by.

So I thought of getting a quartz replacement. I can't seem to find any with the chrono layout as the Santos. Closest is the Miyota OS20 - same layout and same ligne - but distance apart of the dials not the same (on mine all three chrono dials are approx 7.5mm from the centre).

Any guidance would be appreciated

Thanks

Have you ever considered letting the A7750 being serviced??? Most problems can be solved during the complete overhaul of the movement. Even if you could get a ETA 7753, most times those new movements are older than 5 years. And therefore need a service as well. So best thing is to service the A7750 if no parts are broken.

Several good watch smiths (also locally) could service an A7750. cost will be from around 175usd - 250 usd I estimate. At least you can find a watch smith and let him take a look at the movement to see if it can be repaired by a complete overhaul.

quartz won't work. sub dial spacing etc won't match. And why quartz, then it won't look like gen having non smooth seconds and chrono seconds.

And if you want to have the perfect XXL, consider a better strap. (original or Aaron Tan / HKTAN).

Good luck.

Hey thanks

I am, to be honest, skeptical of A7750's modified or not although I know some people on this group advocate getting them serviced. I am not sure if this view is based on actual experience or by word of mouth. Have you had this done on your watches before?

Its a shame about the spacing on a quartz - you can, in fact, get some with a sweeping second hand!!

Another alternatative perhaps could be to perhaps obtain a straight mechanical hours/minutes/seconds/date movement and therefore disable the chrono dials, the functionality of which is probably of secondary use on ths type of watch.

All a matter of taste, I guess

Hey thanks

I am, to be honest, skeptical of A7750's modified or not although I know some people on this group advocate getting them serviced. I am not sure if this view is based on actual experience or by word of mouth. Have you had this done on your watches before?

Its a shame about the spacing on a quartz - you can, in fact, get some with a sweeping second hand!!

Another alternatative perhaps could be to perhaps obtain a straight mechanical hours/minutes/seconds/date movement and therefore disable the chrono dials, the functionality of which is probably of secondary use on ths type of watch.

All a matter of taste, I guess

Very interesting. I heard Citizens has a quarts movement that mimics the sweep.(calibre f335) Im not suprised,a quicker/shorter tick will look very much like a sweep.I think Seiko has been making one sense the mid 90s. I think this is good news sense I like a good quarts movement. set it and for get it :D Good luck with your Santos. I would consider the rehaul on the movement If it were me :) Mike