When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex DSSD upgrade options?

big0spin

hi guys.

I bought a cheap v1 DSSD some time ago (21j and around $140) and altough i love it i am only to aware of its faults (lume is green not blue, strap is a bit flimsy, case back is black and not grey etc etc)

question is am i better off selling it and buying www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=4007 (or are there better versions availabe)

or do i have options to upgrade it.

thanks in advance

D

wow thats quite a bargain

thanks toad

you dont think going swiss is necessary then?

It's Swiss Asian...not actual Swiss generally...so I wouldn't pay the extra. I can go either way. The replacement movement DG2813 for the cheapo I can get for around $12 CDN. I can do a movement swap...so the cost delta is not worth it to upgrade. If there's problems with the Asian...you just swap out the movement...no fixing...no troubleshooting.

For a watch I consider a classic that I would expect to keep for awhile...I'll go Swiss. For a watch I like but don't CRAVE...go Asian.

My Noobmariner I hardly wear at all...it's Asian. My SSD I wear all the time...it's Swiss.

I have no intention of servicing all my watches...and have no reason to buy ETA for all of them either. I'm thinking of a cheap $100 Milgauss as well, if I can get a good one...no datewheel to swap either, as the Milgauss I like, but wouldn't be wearing all the time.

Good luck on the decision.

Be sure that the caseback is made of 2 parts (the steel ring + the titanium insert). I just send a deepsea to Johua because a all new 21J one has been released and it is cheaper that the V3 we used to see. He assures me that it is gonna be the only one available soon (don't really know what to think about this

Edited by docdoc