When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What accuracy do expect in a rep...

Guest Carl

... regarding it's timekeeping ability?

Whether it's the 21j "Asian", a Miyota, or an ETA from somewhere, we all seem to have selected some kind of mechanical movement for our rep watch.

I wear my reps and count on them as timepieces. I expect something better than 30 seconds a day and hope for better but I know that even the 21j Asian seagulls can usually get to 10 seconds a day if I have the patience and time to regulate them. I just do not do quartz.

What do you expect and accept?

Carl

I have mostly Asian movements, and out of the box are my worst time keepers. Anything more than 13 seconds a day off I have to tinker with. My asian sub is about 5 secs a day now, and my gen Swiss ETA out the box was 3-5 secs a day, depending on crown posistion. It seems to gain time on my wrist, and lose it over night in the watch box, so when I put it on the next day it's within 3 secs of accuracy in either direction. Asians can be tuned within acceptable range but ETAs out of the box in new condition are a dream, albeit 4-5 times more expensive.

To me 15 seconds is unacceptable. I let ALL my watches being regulated by my watch smith AFTER I wore them for some weeks. After some weeks the watch is 'run in'. And also the deviation in seconds / day will differ per person depending on how they move their arm and wrist. So there fore If I say the watch runs xx seconds per day minus or plus, my watch smith can get it quite right.

I am doing this because I know these movements can. And why accept less when you know it can be done with a little effort.

Cheers!