When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

the Ultimate AR

RickHiC

This is pretty old news in the photography world, but I thought about it the other day in terms of watch crystals.

The article is about Nikon's Nano Crystal coating for lenses and how they brought it to market. Kind of fun if you're into photography.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/...ne/20/index.htm

Here's a quickie pic from the article. A nikon digital camera sensor is visible at the end of a tube containing 28 optical surfaces. The left side shows with the new coating, the right without.

v4o5mx.jpg

They had this demo during the announcements at a photo trade show, and folks on the floor said it was crazy. It looked like you could reach your hand right to the bottom even though there is obviously a pretty insane amount of glass in between.

I believe Canon has something similar now as well.

So I got to thinking, sure the likelyhood of us sending a off a crystal run to Nikon Japan for a special nano AR run is pretty slim. But... I happen to own a couple of Nikon lenses bearing the "N" badge that I could pillage in the name of science and watch perfection. Sure, the lens elements would likely require considerable machining to achieve correct size and such of a particular watch crystal, and there is that problem of the cheapest donor lens costing upwards of $1400, but, hey, that is a small price to pay. In the mean time I will keep dreaming...

Oh, and Chieftang, if you want to meet with some Nikon execs and work up a deal, I'm totally down for a run.