When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best out of the box?

RicardoF

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on the boards, but I'm back and looking for my very first Panerai. So inevitably, the (lengthy) search is now underway for the most suitable option for me.

I've spent the last few hours reading various threads and checking out dealer sites, but am no closer to making a decision. Ideally, I'd like a 005 or 111, but only if the rep is of good quality. Unfortunately, given the current economic conditions, the budget is limited to $200 which restricts my options.

I'm not very experienced in tweaking with timepieces so modding is not an option (at least for now).

So my question to the sages and aficionados is - Which Panerai is the most accurate rep (out of the box) for around $200? If not one of the 005 or 111's, then what else could you suggest? And supplied by whom?

Many thanks for your input and feedback.... I'm looking forward to learning more :)

RF

Lots of threads on this... but if you want a quick answer I say in the 200 range a 111 is a good choice like you said.

I also like the 253/212

Hey clk, thanks for the suggestion.

Indeed, there are countless threads on this and similar topics. It just seems that so many seem to contradict each other - although, it's probably due to differences of opinion from many people. Will keep reading and searching (the search button is certainly my friend!), and also keep an eye on the for sale section.....

If only the budget could stretch a bit further!!

Where's the stimulus package for rep collectors?!? :huh:

Let me tell you, its not easy! I am in the same boat as you with the same budget.

I would also suggest a rad 183 if your into that.

I would really suggest to save up a few more bucks and go for a DSN (example a 104 or 164 is $280 shipped)

There are some negative reviews on DSN's goods, but there are tons of positive reviews as well. I've put my wish list right in this thread given the same budget.

Hey Ricardo, the 200usd won't really cut it. Try to look for a nice Pam with a good AR coating. that is also a big tell on the Panny reps.

The reason why i say that 200usd won't cut it is the strap. The leather replica straps really scream fake. So if you want leather, consider an aftermarket strap. If 200usd is the budget, you could consider a rubber rep strap. those look good always.

good luck with the search!

Prestige Watch Co. @ repgeek has a decent 111 for about $100.

you're not gonna get the best for your budget.

four around 200usd I would be looking for a manual wind Asian 6497-2 with swanneck and sapphire crystal. because mineral WILL scratch and that looks plain ugly when the gen has sapphire which won't scratch.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I knew from the start that $200 wasn't really going to get me a top quality Pam, but thought I'd ask in case I was overlooking some good deal/model that I wasn't aware of...

Hmm....looks like I might have to sell my IWC GST Chrono Ti. I don't really wear it that much and feel that it's time for a change. Any interest??

I'll post in the trade section once I get some decent photos.

• 3 weeks later...