When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another fake 6263 Daytona on the 'bay

JoJo35

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ME:B:SS:US:1123

These bastards have no shame, that thing is not even close

Here's the info and pics, and a great opportunity to read the opinions of those in-the-know about what makes this a bad rep...

Rolex Daytona 6263 "Paul Newman"

Replacement Case ? 18K yellow gold.

Ref# is 6263

The serial# is after extensive wearing with the gold braclet no more visible. This side of the case is polished smooth between the lugs.

Dial is "Paul Newman style": original, but refinished.

Movement is a Valjoux 727

The movement runs very well but it should get serviced.

Gen:

GG_6263_1.jpg

From eBay auction pics...

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

Gen movement...

Page256-Ref-6262-mov-Valjoux-727.jpg

Is that a lume dot on the crown? :)

-Lume dots look bad

-Missing marker at 11:00

-New bridges? They don't seem to match the age of the rest of the movement

-Serial is rubbed off? How weird is that?

-Lug holes seem like they've been drilled with a Black & Decker

These are the things that strike me as an amature, I could be right, I could be way off... :scratch:

The second one is DW, David Wang. Any serious collector knows a correct 6263 in ss goes for $20K plus. An 18K gold one for $40-50K and up. Not so correct models will bring less, of course.

That being said, these watches are aimed at the franken market. The gold one is similar in price to Phong's gold cased 6263 (doesn't Phong's gold 6263 run $9500?) Bach's comparison photo with a gen movement shows a different balance wheel- note no microstella screws on the wheel on the rep movt. Also, the gen has a couple of hold down screws at 1:30 and 9:00- these are also missing on the rep. DW's movement has the pointer on the balance bridge- this would be ok on a 6234, but not the later 6263. Both movements have been modified to look like 727's with copy bridges and engraving.

When you consider the cost of building a franken 6263, I don't think these prices are all that outrageous- especially with the bridges and engraving- that's what runs up the cost. But I must say, the gold 6263 is a little rough- bad dial, rough case and the movt needs a service.

Here's a 6234 that has the pointer on the balance and it's correct:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Rolex-Oyster-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, notice the ROW on the balance bridge- 'Rolex Werks' This appears sometimes and sometimes not. After the 6234, I've not seen the pointer on the balance- not on the 6238, 6239 and anything later.