When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's easier / cheaper to do?

Prsist

Swapping a 21j mov't. or servicing an ETA clone?

When purchasing a rep sometime I wonder which way to go and plan for the future when a servicing will be needed. A 21j movt is around $15 + cost of a movt swap. Servicing an ETA, cost I'm not sure about. Plus parts if anything should break during servicing. Finding a watchsmith qualified to work on ETA clones.

Anyone make a purchase choice depending on servicing down the road?

Movement swaps can be about $50 - $100...depending on chrono vs non-chrono. Servicing an auto can be about $150+. That's why it can be fun if you have an Asian to pick up some tools, spare movements, and experiment...knowing you'll destroy a cheap $10 movement or 3. ;)

I always try to go with the ETA movements as they are usually more true to gen ie: smooth sweep, date fonts etc. and then just let them run till they show signs of needing service then just replace them. Works out at around the same cost as service give or take a few dollars...plus gen hands etc. are compatible too!

Wayward, are getting hold of ETA clone movements easy? Can our dealers source spare movements?

Most of the trusted dealers here can source parts although I usually just use ebay.

• 2 weeks later...