When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

fly-back seconds\minutes\date modules on asian movement

db1

Hi,

to make a long story short: for a pretty long time (over 2 months now) im after a new rep, this time trying to steer away from the breits and rlx, looking for something different, classy, non chrono that will be simple but also complex at the same time, a dial that tells the time but also have a gadget or two on it.

i had a look at some reps with fly-back modules on them, some had date fly-back, some had seconds fly-back, i even saw on the bay a pretty cheap no-real-brand watch with a tri-retrograde flybacks that split a minutes into 3 fly-backs of 20seconds each !

saw that watch on the tube and looking very very attractive ! of course that watch has a TY movement and nothing higher grade.

now down to my question,

what do you think about the fly-back modules on asian movement ?

is it too risky to have ? are they unreliable in a way that it doesn't worth the money ?

anyone with a fly-back rep, or used to have any fly-back retrograde mechanical watch-

any tip would be very appreciated :)

if watchdog can throw a few words on this subject i would be even happier !! cause i couldn't find a thread like this on the whole board.

hope you all will have a great weekend !

db :)

Flybacks... hmm.. I've used gen flybacks and they are super cool... not sure what type of work goes into one on a rep / asian mvt... I'd assume it uses a thinner movement like the 2892 clone by Seagull? (ST something...16 maybe?) From what I've read, and of course The Zigmeister would be more qualified to give you an answer, but the 2892 clone movements are supposed to be quite reliable and trustworthy- not sure what issues you'd run into with a flyback module but again- I'll leave that one for the experts :)

Best of luck!

S

thanks for the replay Shundi !

yeah the seagul clone 2892 are looking pretty good, i wish more reps would be made with these movement under the bonnet, the truth is that in most reps where it's advert as 'asian' movement - it is really one of the TY movement that are the cheaper asian grade.

also- i've seen most asian movement reps with flybacks has the TY movements (or DG? you pick :) ) modded with a flyback module.

thanks for your info!

yeah i'm sure more people can put a few words from their own experience too!

any more info will be so much appreciated :]

thanks!

No problem... I know RobbieG and The Zigmeister have posted on the thinness of the ETA 2892 and how it is used as a base for modules due to this thinness (vs the Rolex 313x series) so you'd think that the 2892 Seagull clone would be an ideal movement for such modifications..