When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Funny story about my YM and Explorer II reps

notimetowaste

How good are the reps today? Well, let me tell you my story.

Last year I graduated with my doctorate and decided I wanted a Rolex as my graduation present. I started researching the models and chose the Yachtmaster as my favorite. When searching online I came across RWG and decided to purchase a rep while I saved up some extra cash for the YM.

I ordered a ETA Yachtmaster from Chris at Eurotimez. The first one was confiscated by customs (crappy luck for a first timer) but he quickly sent a replacement that arrived in great condition. It was so similar to a gen YM that I got compliments on it all the time. Other doctors and patients would frequently admire it and ask what kind it was. I felt this was a little too shiny for me so I opted for a model with a little less bling.

My next favorite model was the Explorer II with white dial. I purchased a used rep through RWG's trade area to avoid going through customs. The rep looked and felt great. I wore it almost every day until last week when I decided to purchase the gen Explorer II.

When I brought my gen home I handed both the rep and the gen to my wife and said 'Which one is the genuine Rolex?', After inspecting the two, my wife held up the REP! I pointed out how the gen's lume was better and how the dial markers were black and not silver to tell which was the gen. She didn't care, she just thought the rep looked to be the most expensive.

So in summary:

• I can't consistently point out my gen from my rep when standing 2-3 feet away. My wife can't even tell while holding them.
  • My rep YM has gotten me more compliments than my gen Explorer II.
  • If I hadn't tried the reps first I wouldn't have gotten the rep I am most happy with.

I thank all those on RWG for all the advice and for sharing their knowledge. Now I am looking for a Sub rep, to see if I want to buy a genuine Sub in the future.

I'll post side-by-side pics when I can get the camera settings to give decent pictures.

-- DJ

Thank you for sharing the terrific story. I think that many of us here have traveled the same route, in that our interest in replica watches inspired us to move on to begin a gen collection. I have recently made that step myself with the purchase of a gen green milgauss, in addition to a few vintage gen pieces.

The Exporer II is a classy piece. Congrats on your choice. I'm sure it will bring years of enjoyment.

As far as the rep, the white gold surrounds were correct for the tritium 16550 Explorer II (not sure which version you have).

Enjoy your new rolex, and wear in the best of health

JJ