When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 3717 arrived

SEleven

If all my future purchases are this easy, this will be a very addictive (and expensive) hobby.

Searching for a where to purchase my first rep, I found PT (Precious Time) as a reputable dealer that would ship in the EU. After reading the reviews about his services, I finally took the plunge on my first rep. I was always attracted to the simplicity and simultaneously, the complexity of the IWC 3717 Pilot Chrono. After doing some further research on the watch and reading the reviews I was convinced this would be the ideal first rep for me.

PT was always extremely prompt with his communication, always replying within a few hours to all of my questions. I ordered the 3717 with both the bracelet and the leather band and it was delivered in two and a half weeks. The watch arrived yesterday, completely padded and wrapped in bubble wrap. After spending an hour resizing the bracelet, trying on the rep leather strap and switching back to the bracelet (it would have taken three as long without all the tutorials on this forum) I haven't been able to stop staring at it.

The watch is just as its pictured in the numerous reviews here, the details just blow me aways. The engravings look great and the double AR coating looks nice. Even the date/day wheels look great (might still replace it with proper ETA ones). Up to now everything functions properly and all the chrono hands resets properly. its even been keeping its time +/- 2 secs, need to let it settle and see how it performs. My only gripes are that the bracelet clasp feels flimsy and that the rep leather strap feels like plastic, but it will be soon replaced by a strap from The Watch Boys.

Attached is a quick and dirty phone camera picture. Will take further wrist shots when I get off work and upload them. Just a question to any of our Dutch members, I wonder if you know any watchmakers in NL that are willing to service/work on reps?

post-21126-1242116396_thumb.jpg

Guest asim

welcome to the IWC club. The 3717 is a legend both in the gen world for various reasons but also in the rep world because of the superb build quality and mod possibilities. Enjoy your acquisition but I promise you it won't stop there!!! :p

Thanks! I guess I got lucky with the straight markers. I think PT's QC helps with ensuring that you get nice and functioning reps.

The habit has already started, I already ordered Narikaa's PO even before the 3717 arrived and wondering am I going to order next. IWC seems to have some really nice models, just too bad my wrists are so small, so the Big Pilot is out of the question.

Man my bank account going to hate me...

I also once thought the BP was too big for me... boy was I wrong.

Just saying... :p

I'm sure if you speak to me in a few months, I'll have one dangling from my wrists as well. Just need to try it out in person and talk myself into buying it... shouldn't be too difficult.

If anyone is interested, here are some more pics.

After reconsideration, the rep leather strap isn't too bad, just really stiff (and smells like both a plastic factory and tannery). I think I'll order a TWB buffalo strap tonight, still not convinced alligator print is my thing.

IWC3717-2.jpg

IWC3717-3.jpg

IWC3717-4.jpg

IWC3717-5.jpg

That's funny.. it's usually you that hates the size of your bank account....

You got me there...

I understand the strap is made of plastic. Doesn't bother me too much, but I probably would not have bought it if I had known.

I actually bought the strap with the reasoning that if it was crap, I'd at least have an IWC buckle.

howdy SEeleven,

very intersting read. i have gone through exactly the same recently, also ordered a 3717 but from andrew (trustytime) and got it 2 weeks ago!

like you, i am very amazed how nice it looks and works and it's got me addicted on replicas!

i am now also considering switching the datewheel and - what i think is very important - adding some "true" AR to the glass.

because that's something bothering me, the AR on this watch is way too strong. it's very purple and i am nor sure if it even has any antireflective qualities. maybe it's just paint. that kinda sucks. for those who get aftermarket AR (from chieftang) it would be better if the glass came from the factory with no AR at all than with this fake stuff. because it's another $15 for chieftang to strip it.

but i didn't get in the chieftang run anyways :(

however,

enjoy this fine watch!

simon