When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can an Ultrasonic cleaner cause scratches?

I cleaned a couple of watch bracelets and silver bracelets today as I wanted to try out some ultrasonic solution that arrived today. I'm looking at my silver bracelet now, and there seems to be some scratches that are quite deep on some of the links. When I run my fingernail over them I can feel them, they look like the swirlies/scratches our clasps get after some time of regular use.

Is it possible that the Ultrasonic cleaner could have done this, say for example if the bracelet links were touching each other, and the vibration caused the scratches? I've also noticed smaller marks on watch bracelet clasps in the past when I have cleaned them with my Ultrasonic cleaner.

My first reaction was no way, but if you're putting more than one piece in at a time, and they are in contact with each other, then yes. There's nothing in a clean solution that would cause scratches, but the action between the vibrating pieces of equal tensile would present an opportunity to cause marks. The longer they are in contact with each other, the greater the damage.