When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

options for new SOSF with a flaw

wraithride

So I ordered and finally got my SOSF from PureTime about a month ago now. Everytime I was looking at the face, something was bugging me and at first I thought the wings on the face were mounted crooked. After a look under magnification, i figured out that part of the wings appear to be broken off. I sent a couple of emails to angus to ask for his opinion and enclosed pictures. It's been almost 3 weeks with no word. I know he's busy, so i'm trying to be patient.

While I'm waiting, I wanted to see if I have other options if I don't end up hearing from him. Anyone know what a replacement dial would run, either gen (assuming it would even fit), or for a rep version? I'll post some pics soon, but I wanted to throw some feelers out there and get some opinions.

Thanks!

WR

I have 2 things to say:

-You're right about the wings.

-Replacing the watch won't correct the flaw.

This is a newer generation of SFSO-s with the 2836-s. They all have these 'crooked' wings (as do all the V3 BCEs, and the new Seawolfs). The previous 2824 versions were perfect.

You are the second guy who noticed this, no one else did other than you and me (or maybe the others didn't mention it).

I just read it: yes, the wings are also broken off on yours, this is an unusual problem. Contact your dealer.

Edited by yodap

I wonder if we can get a replacement dial off one of the previous generation watches and do a face lift...

I have 2 things to say:

-You're right about the wings.

-Replacing the watch won't correct the flaw.

This is a newer generation of SFSO-s with the 2836-s. They all have these 'crooked' wings (as do all the V3 BCEs, and the new Seawolfs). The previous 2824 versions were perfect.

You are the second guy who noticed this, no one else did other than you and me (or maybe the others didn't mention it).

I just read it: yes, the wings are also broken off on yours, this is an unusual problem. Contact your dealer.

Unfortunately the chance is minimal for this to happen. The previous generation is no longer in production, so you can't order it from the factory. Maybe someone has taken apart his old one due to movement failure or due to broken caseset, you could source a first gen dial.

Sourcing the current dial shouldn't be a problem.

Greetz.

OK, that's what i'm talking about. I'm still waiting to hear from Angus, but he's not responsive what so ever. Those wings look perfect, and that's what I an expecting from what is supposed to be a "super rep". Thanks for the picutes, I was wondering if it was a wide spread flaw, or just dumb luck.

WR

Are you sure that was a 2836? The lume is excellent (they were only good on the earlier 2824s) and also perfect wings. Could you post a pic with the date at 24?

This is how the newer 2836s look like:

http://www.mickporter.com/watch.html

Look at themessed up B logo and the off center lume.

Edit: I just read you sold it already.

Edited by yodap

• 2 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

I just got the replacement dial from Angus (VERY VERY fast service BTW...) and i tore into the package to see what the replacement looks like.

drumroll..........

*sigh* It's exactly the same, with the clipped wing on the 3 o'clock side. DAMN. I guess for the sticklers we can officially call this a flaw on the newest version? I can at least live with it knowing my watch isn't a one-off and broken, but I'm still disappointed that it turned out to be such a major flaw, at least for me. bugs me every time i look at the dial. Oh well, it'll still get wrist time, just disappointed. My phone-camera sucks, but i'll post pictures later tonight of the new dial.

WR