When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planes, Trains and Automobiles: Tokyo Drift

TeeJay

:lol:

Well, it would certainly lose something in the translation, but if you could bend the ameri-western colloquialism of "Good Times!" around the more

Shinto state of 'eternal well being through goodness' you'd scratch the surface. :)

Ahh, awesome, domo arigato indeed :) My ability to speak Japanese is pretty much limited to please, thankyou, yes and no, but I'm pleased that I managed to get by on just that, and a knowledge of the culture (bowing at the right time, giving items with both hands etc) without having to resort to the typical 'Brits abroad' mentality of "IF I SPEAK LOUD ENOUGH THEY WILL UNDERSTAND ME!!!" :lol:

If you wouldn't mind, I saved the pic of the 47's 'winglet' sporting the Union Jack. Classic! More an aero-phile and history buff than worldly traveler, I found the photo revealing on many levels. As you would know, the Union colors on a 'jack flag' were reserved for the Queen's Navy. Then of course, the Who :lol: I would say one of Branson's 747's come close enough?

Amazing considering not too, too long ago, this was 'state of the art' world travel;

Victory3.jpg

Victory5.jpg

BOT, 'these are the good old days' for sure T'J. Here's to looking back on them when the time comes :drunk:

By all means, feel free to save a copy :) Indeed, a much misunderstood and mis-appropriated flag, but, a fine symbol of what the United Kingdom stands for (in theory at least :lol: )

Awesome photos of the Victory, I visited the Cutty Sark in Greenwich when I was younger, and always had a fascination with all things nautical :)

thanks for the trip :)

cheers,

Frank

No problem at all, I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Very nice write-up. Reminded me a Paneristi/Rolex blog (can't remember which) in which this guy was on a PR tour of Seiko and spent a lot of time visiting watch haunts with leisure pics thrown in as well.

I've only ever done a couple of flying visits in and out of Narita for work (with a night or two's stay) but no more than a snatched hour or two leisure time. Which believe me is excruciatingly frustrating and actually worse than never visiting in the first place.

It's top of my list to go back for a couple of weeks or more - a week between modern Tokyo and Kyoto, and another travelling around the country, visiting more rural Japan - but for now like Ubi says, living vicariously will have to do.

Very nice write-up. Reminded me a Paneristi/Rolex blog (can't remember which) in which this guy was on a PR tour of Seiko and spent a lot of time visiting watch haunts with leisure pics thrown in as well.

I've only ever done a couple of flying visits in and out of Narita for work (with a night or two's stay) but no more than a snatched hour or two leisure time. Which believe me is excruciatingly frustrating and actually worse than never visiting in the first place.

It's top of my list to go back for a couple of weeks or more - a week between modern Tokyo and Kyoto, and another travelling around the country, visiting more rural Japan - but for now like Ubi says, living vicariously will have to do.

Thanks :) I know the write up you mean, it was an article by John Holbrook II, who's written some really nice Rolex reviews. A very nice guy as well :)

I know what you mean about that kind of visits, not so much from personal experience, but from a friend who's a singer and has travelled quite extensively, but said about how all she ever saw of a country was airports, hotels, and the gigs, not the actual country itself...

I think Japan definitely needs at least a fortnight, probably three weeks, to appreciate properly, and see enough of the country to make it worth while, from a pure tourism point of view :)