When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Power Reserve on Big Pilot 5004

simzger

Dear all,

sorry for starting topics like crazy tonight...but there's a lot of stuff in my head i would like to get clarified, and it is probably also of interest to others...

i want to order a BP this weekend, and i like the 5004 better than the 5002, but i think i heard there is a problem with the power reserve at 6.5.

i think i read someone saying that the power reserve should be at 7, it is not possible on the gen to be at 6.5, it will always be at full numbers, e.g. 6, or 5, but not 6.5.

so my first question is: is that true?

my second question is: can it be fixed by a watchsmith? can he just move it up to 7? or down to 6?

i would be very happy if someone could answer me.

thanks,

simon

EDIT: this was the thread by itseme where it was first mentioned that 6.5 is no good: http://www.rwg.cc/members/Finally-IWC-Pig-...500-t94715.html

Edited by simzger

re: your first question, the hand doesn't jump in one day increments on the genuine, so it's not impossible for the power reserve to be at 6.5 days on the genuine -- i just think people like the fact that if you were to keep the watch on a winder (as many people do for automatics), it would read fully charged at 7 days.

the reality is no one is going to look at your watch and say "hmmmm....charged to 6.5 days, huh?" that must be a fake :lol:

re: your second question, yes it is an easy fix (just nudge the hand to 7) ;)

hope this helps :victory:

deltatahoe

re: your first question, the hand doesn't jump in one day increments on the genuine, so it's not impossible for the power reserve to be at 6.5 days on the genuine -- i just think people like the fact that if you were to keep the watch on a winder (as many people do for automatics), it would read fully charged at 7 days.

the reality is no one is going to look at your watch and say "hmmmm....charged to 6.5 days, huh?" that must be a fake :lol:

re: your second question, yes it is an easy fix (just nudge the hand to 7) ;)

hope this helps :victory:

deltatahoe

dear deltahoe,

thanks a lot for the reply!

so that means it's not glued on and totally sticking to the dial?

if so i guess i will take the 5004 instead. i think it looks cooler than the 5002. should i get brown or black strap?

thanks

simon

Edited by simzger

you're welcome. yes, that means it isn't glued on completely -- it can be done (at least i had someone do it on my 5002). the black rep strap is total crap; i've heard the brown is marginally better, although i would most certainly recommend getting a different strap for the watch -- it will change the feel of the watch completely ;)

deltatahoe

deltatahoe is completely right about everything he said. but for me, i think the best position of the power reserve is on the full line above the 7 (see picture below of a gen in this position). the reason i say this is because ... if the power reserve was at 6.5 or 7 and someone tried to wind it, it obviously wouldn't move but it should and would on a gen. if the rep was already set to the full line, even the gen couldn't be wound past that point. not that this situation would ever happen in real life, but that's the way i think in my sick, obsessive compulsive little head. i know i'm not the only one. who's comin' with me?

DSC_0006-7.jpg

Nigel: "You see, most blokes will be wearing it at 6.5. You're on 6.5, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What we do, is if we need that extra push over the cliff...Seven. One bigger."

DiBergi: "Why don't you just make 6.5 the highest reserve and make 6.5 be the top number, and make that a little higher?"

Nigel: (after taking a moment to let this sink in): "These go to 7"

:D

Nigel: "You see, most blokes will be wearing it at 6.5. You're on 6.5, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What we do, is if we need that extra push over the cliff...Seven. One bigger."

DiBergi: "Why don't you just make 6.5 the highest reserve and make 6.5 be the top number, and make that a little higher?"

Love it...great movie!

deltatahoe is completely right about everything he said.

that line just had a great ring to it, so i figured i'd go ahead and quote it :D

if the power reserve was at 6.5 or 7 and someone tried to wind it, it obviously wouldn't move but it should and would on a gen. if the rep was already set to the full line, even the gen couldn't be wound past that point.

if someone is winding your rep, the power reserve hand may as well be rattling around loose in the case :lol:

deltatahoe

hahhaha!!! spinal tap!!!