When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchwinder question

iceberg1459

i just got this `my first watchwinder and it really looks awesome

844ub5.jpg

its actually silent but when i place 1 watch (hbb, dssd big watches) on one of the spinning wheel, its spins somewhat jerky and making noise every spin (not constant, only 1 knocking noise each spin), i think motor doesnt have enough power or the watch is too heavy placed off-center..when i place 2 watches there doesnt seem to be a problem..

is it normal? or it has crappy mechanics?

how much did you pay for it and where from?

i just got this `my first watchwinder and it really looks awesome

its actually silent but when i place 1 watch (hbb, dssd big watches) on one of the spinning wheel, its spins somewhat jerky and making noise every spin (not constant, only 1 knocking noise each spin), i think motor doesnt have enough power or the watch is too heavy placed off-center..when i place 2 watches there doesnt seem to be a problem..

is it normal? or it has crappy mechanics?

Edited by P_Diddy

I've been eyeing the Brookstone Quad Watch Winder for a little bit now. It seems to get pretty good reviews and it is not badly priced. Plus I like its simple style. It's not so over the top like the wolf or the orbita winders.

Sells for $199

Anyone have any experience with this one?

brookstone.jpg

I've been looking at watch winders myself over the last few weeks and it's pretty obvious that all the cheap winders come from the same chinese factories, regardless of whatever name may be stuck to the front or back of them. Do a search for watch winders at www.made-in-china.com or alibaba.com and in no time you'll see where they're all made. Nothing whatsoever wrong with that of course, but the thing is that the "Brookstone" and "Rothenschild" above are both the same winders that are sold elsewhere for $69.95 or so and rely on cheap motors, crappy plastic gears and 5 cent control electronics. At $69.95 that's acceptable, since at least you get some nice wood veneer thrown in, but at $200 and more it's pure humbug.

Personally I'm going to keep my money and if I find that I really need a winder I'll get one from Official Time's eBay store. More expensive, but still very reasonable compared to most non-Far-East-made winders.

i searched and couldnt find anywhere cheaper than 200 for this model for 6xwatches,

designwise it looks amazing, i looked at other expensive models and they all look ugly or boring. and i dont know how silent it should be but i can barely hear it from 20cm close with cap closed.

my only problem is the sound and jerky spinning when 1 watch is on wheel, motors seem to be just not strong enough..too bad :(

Anyone looking for inexpensive winders might find some at Easy Source's eBay store. You'll likely recognise the designs from a hundred other internet sites, except these guys are the cheapest I've seen. Nice winders designwise, not to mention the prices, but I doubt they can be trusted to work for all that long.

Anyway, if the motor isn't strong enough to turn a single watch it's not going to last very long anyway, so why not just get a refund and save up for a decent winder?

Here is a quick video I made of the winder I got off ebay. I was planning to do a better presentation of it, but I have been busy lately. I will re-shoot it sometime.

BTW: try to have watches always in pairs, it helps balance the load better.

Without further ado, here it is: