When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ebel 1911 Discovery - Vibrates when winding ?

mortster

Hi there, I simply love my Ebel 1911 Discovery (black face) from PT, it really is a super rep, can't fault it....

Anyway, one thing I have noticied, is if I leave the watch to stop running, when I next try to wind it with the crown, it resists quite a bit, and I can literally feel the watch vibrating and oscillating quite heavily, it literally vibrates in my hands. Then it winds normally after and works ok.... What is going on ? is it normal for the a7750 movement ?

How much should I wind the watch when it's completely drained ? I'm doing about 10 turns at the moment, and then letting the auto wind rotor take over.....

Cheers for any help.

Don't hand wind your replica. Ever.

Why the hell you need to do it... it's an automatic watch? Hand winding will damage your watch in the long run.

Don't hand wind your replica. Ever.

Why the hell you need to do it... it's an automatic watch? Hand winding will damage your watch in the long run.

Thanks for the polite reply. So when the watch has run out of reserve, it's best to set time, and then shake it until is starts running ?

It sounds like you have a sticky reversing wheel. As BT said, you should avoid winding by the crown if at all possible. Read the links in my Noob Guide for more information.

The vibration is likely the rotor spinning while you wind, which should NOT happen. It would be solved with cleaning or you can look up Francisco's solution to it...but his solution is definitely best left to somebody with watch fixing experience, less you destroy the movement.

Does it affect the watch? If it works with a few light swirls to get things going...just rely on the auto-winding...or get things serviced. If you have to manually wind it...do it very slowly.

It sounds like you have a sticky reversing wheel. As BT said, you should avoid winding by the crown if at all possible. Read the links in my Noob Guide for more information.

The vibration is likely the rotor spinning while you wind, which should NOT happen. It would be solved with cleaning or you can look up Francisco's solution to it...but his solution is definitely best left to somebody with watch fixing experience, less you destroy the movement.

Does it affect the watch? If it works with a few light swirls to get things going...just rely on the auto-winding...or get things serviced. If you have to manually wind it...do it very slowly.

Many thanks for this informative reply. I will keep to the auto-winding from now on.

Cheers.

Geez BT, did you miss your morning expresso?

I have had a similar problem, and ended up returning the watch for a movement replacement, as the chrono feature stopped altogether. So keep an eye on it, it is not normal, all of my other A7750's are much smoother in their winding. The dealer first said it was a breaking in issue, but when the chrono failed, agreed to take it back. Coincidentally, I am expected the repaired watch to arrive back today, well travelled and hopefully ready for action.

Hi Steve, a fine example of Canadian politeness!

No I didn't mean my reply as an attack in any shape or form. My frustration was directed more at the dealers (like Paul) who still advice members to hand wind their reps.

It doesn't make any sense to hand wind an automatic watch... and according to all Zig's report it can eventually damage the watch. I think it's wrong that dealers advice their customers something that can dramatically shorten the lifespan of a movement.

Easy on By-Tor there guys!! He has written numerous times about this subject, as has TT in his Noobguide.

There is only so many times someone who is trying to help can take being ignored!!

I didn't think his reply was all that offensive, just direct and too the point, as stated above, only so many times!!

He was trying to do a favour and help!

Sixx :bones:

No I didn't mean my reply as an attack in any shape or form. My frustration was directed more at the dealers (like Paul) who still advice members to hand wind their reps.

It doesn't make any sense to hand wind an automatic watch... and according to all Zig's report it can eventually damage the watch. I think it's wrong that dealers advice their customers something that can dramatically shorten the lifespan of a movement.

Misinterpreted your directness, BT. Yes, Josh also advises winding and "shake like mad cow" whatever that means. Mad cow means something different in countries that have beef exports. And a possible explanation is dead watches are sometimes replaced with new ones after the 6 month warranty, or just ignorance, take your pick.

No probs. When I look at my reply again it sounded harsh. Wasn't my intention.

Generally it's not just the damage that hand winding can cause to the movement, it's also a well known fact that winding crowns (and their threads) are often the weak links on reps. Why put unnecessary extra stress on them?

After setting the time, always shake your watch gently to get it running. That's all you need.

No probs. When I look at my reply again it sounded harsh. Wasn't my intention.

Generally it's not just the damage that hand winding can cause to the movement, it's also a well known fact that winding crowns (and their threads) are often the weak links on reps. Why put unnecessary extra stress on them?

After setting the time, always shake your watch gently to get it running. That's all you need.

Thanks very much :)

I'm testing it now to see how the power reserve is holding up, I hope it's ok, it's such a lovely watch.

I'm testing it now to see how the power reserve is holding up, I hope it's ok, it's such a lovely watch.

The problem is that there is a fault with the movement (if it is indeed the rotor that is causing the "vibration" when winding). A dealer should take it back...but for this issue...if the power reserve is fine when the watch does the auto-wind when worn, is it worth shipping back and being out of the watch for 2 months or do you say screw it, because the watch works find with the auto-wind.

It's a common problem unfortunately, and probably one that would be solved with better conditions in possibly the assembly of the watch or the movement itself that is causing the wheel to get dirty enough to stick.

I have one that I'm leaving. I like it...and will probably service it some time down the line...but I'm not going to worry about the problem as it does it work when swirled. Don't shake like a paint mixer...it can damage the watch.