When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MILSUB Dial

bob bean

Hello all

I recently got my first Rollie, a cheap MILSUB, and I really like it. I am wearing it as a beater and am hoping to take a bit of

the "new" shine off it. Heck I may even open her up and try to "age" it a little.

But my Rollie noob question is this, is the correct dial available. (Mine has "Oyster Perpetual Date" on the dial despite not

having the date which if I'm not mistaken is incorrect.)

P1000465.JPG

Cheers

Bob

Edited by bob bean

You are correct- The dial should omit 'DATE' from the text since it's replicating a no-date 5513/5517 based piece.

You can always buy a more correct dial and have it installed, however having a T/MoD 5517 dial is going to be a difficult piece to pull off. If you do decide to stick with the 5517 look, you might also want to consider getting the bezel insert with the full 60 ticks and a better set of hands ;)

Lol Once pointed out these things seem obvious. Thanks for your input ubiquitous.

I see the minute hand is quite different in that the lume is pointed with the profile, and the full 60 ticks I didn't notice!! (Though I do like the 15 tick)

But I must say my biggest gripe is with the "date" on the dial.

So are these pieces available as reps components? #1-Dial, #2-Hands and #3-Bezel ( as I said earlier I think I prefer the 15 tick though).

Oh and why hard to pull off? As in they are so rare. or just the now obvious and many flaws in mine. ;)

cheers again

Bob

Edited by bob bean

Put on? I'm not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate ?

This is a genuine question.

Boy, did I misinterpret this. Between the date on the dial issue and you wanting to age a dial that already has a terrific aged lume look to it; I thought something suspicious was going on with your question. Apologies...

Oh and why hard to pull off?

(Sorry- I must have missed this particular question last night)...

Mostly stated as these are now $50k - $100k watches ;)

Anyone who knows what it is will likely be suspiscious of it's nature due to what the watch is, especially since those who own the gens are a pretty tight knit crowd that know each other quite well (an established network of folks who have come to grow close by sharing info of watch characteristics and details in their quest of authenticating, determining numbers in existence, etc).

Now, granted, these watches weren't always commanding these high prices- Back in the mid 80's one could buy a tray of them for just a few bucks (I seem to recall 30GBP). A fair number of these went to Asia to be converted to standard 5513 models- Lug bars cut out, lug holes re-drilled, casebacks polished down and dials either replaced or modified to remove the 'T', hands and bezel inserts swapped. Most thought at the time that there was no value in a Mil spec watch (hence the low buy in) and that they had far more value as standard civilian watches.

Luckily, most of the 5513/5517 MilSub heavy hitters are in the UK, with others spread out in other countries; the British presence is big since these watches were originally for the MoD and since RSC Bex is really the only center qualified to authenticate. However, the watch is popular enough for most watch enthusiasts to know of it; your average individual who isn't into watches will likely not give it a second look. There is always that off chance that you may bump into someone who knows what that watch is :)

I posted this elsewhere, but it seems appropriate to re-post here. I purchased the same watch (actually the one from watcheden)and was pleased with it, until I noticed that it said "Oyster Perpetual Date"! I took it apart and used a product called OOPS all purpose remover and cleaner. With a toothpick and swab, I gently removed the word "date". As it was a bit off balance, I also removed or faded the "O" and "Y" on the word oyster to give it an old, faded out look (after all the watch is supposed to be almost 40 years old...). Not perfect and of course and would not fool anyone, but it looked better to me - and that's what really counts! I then aged the dial and hands using some espresso (don't drink the espresso while you're trying to rub off the letters - your hands will be shaking too much!)and a hair dryer following with a Matte finish light spray. I then used a yellow highlighter pen around the inside of the crystal to give it a yellowed aged look. I also faded the bezel insert with bleach (This is not the proper insert for a 5517, but I did little research and found that some of the originals were shipped with 15 min bezels and some were called 5513 milsubs - so I'll go with that...). I may, in the future get the proper bezel insert, but I have to say, after the simple mods, this watch (which would otherwise never been worn just because of the word "date"!) has become a favorite... I owe all I learned and the good results to this forum. Thanks!post-7362-1245263084_thumb.jpg