When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fauxmega Spotting

anotherfish

New boss at work. Wearing a black speedmaster chrono. (I can't tell you a model)

I can't get a really close look but the clasp looks wocky and the dial finish seems a bit cheap, can anyone help me with any obvious tells for this watch?

Question1: Should the second hand be rotating all the time or only when the chrono is activated?

Question2: The clasp while looking insecure and a bit tinny has the Omega symbol in a raised square, is the correct?

The clasp description sounds correct for older models : the omega symbol in a box on a square clasp. If it is indeed a chrono with pushers only the sub dial seconds hand should be constantly running, not the giant "normal" seconds hand typical on non chrono watches. Perhaps he was timming your productivity :p comment on his watch and get a model and if its vintage or not

One tell that I know of with Speedmasters is the spacing of the chrono dials. On the Gen Omega they are nearly touching each other, but as far as I know, no rep has ever managed to duplicate the dial spacing correctly. I could be wrong cause its been a while.

One tell that I know of with Speedmasters is the spacing of the chrono dials. On the Gen Omega they are nearly touching each other, but as far as I know, no rep has ever managed to duplicate the dial spacing correctly. I could be wrong cause its been a while.

The movement with the better subdial spacing is available...but no high end reps of Speedies have been made.

If the running second hand is moving like a quartz...that's the easiest tell. With subdial spacing, it can be a bit hard to tell unless you know the case size. The Moon Mid-sized looks like it has rep spacing with the wide gap, but the Moon full-size is tight...something to consider.

Some people have their chrono hands running all the time for whatever reason...some people are constantly timing events. ;)