When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jumpy Second Hand on Daytona

Reverend Sam

I just bought my 16th rep, a Daytona from one of the dealers on the board. It's supposed to have a 28,800 Asian 7750, and it probably does, however the second hand is incredibly jumpy. When I start the chrono it really shows up. The hand moves smoothly for a few ticks, then it seems to freeze for half a second and then suddenly jump to catch up. It does this over and over, all the way around the dial. Sometimes it does four or five "jumps" in a row,

So, am I screwed? Is there an easy fix? Can I just take it to my local watchmaker for some lube or something?

Also, I opened the caseback to see if the rotor is engraved as shown in the dealers pics. His pics show "Rolex" repeated over and over on the rotor, and even on the movement. But my watch just has a single "Rolex" with the crown, and the inside of the caseback itself has no engraving on it.

If you are referring to the large chronograph seconds hand, then either the hand wand is loose on its supporting tube & needs to be replaced or cemented in place

handtuberepair.jpg

(Original pic by Avitt)

.........or the watch requires servicing (cleaning/oiling). The movements in most rep watches are used &/or unserviced, so your watch is definitely not unique.