When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Problem

ettienne

I have a 45mm PO. The crown was crooked, bad workmanship, I decided to upgrade. I take out the rep crown and tube. Order a gen crown and tube. This takes a few weeks to get and not easy by the way. I receive the gen parts and realize the tube is a screw in type, the rep tube is not. Therefore, the rep case has no threads. Furthermore, the case cannot be tapped because the gen tube fits in it already...meaning, it's already too large to be threaded and take my smaller gen tube. What to do? Is it possible to have someone refill the hole in the case and then retap? Any suggestions? I've already ruined my rep crown so going back is not an option.

I know I'll be severely criticized for this idea, especially since I have few posts on this site, however you could use JB Weld, or one of the faster hardening equivalents. The stuff will make a permanent bond to the stainless steel of the case, and then it is sandable and machinable just like steel. It would be covered by the crown on the outside, so it would be completely invisible. I would recommend inserting something like a toothpick through the center of the hole, and completely filling in around the toothpick. You can easily drill out the toothpick and then use that hole as a pilot hole, widening it as necessary to fit the crown tube. Just make sure the toothpick is lined up properly first. if you're off even a millimeter the crown won't line up correctly with the movement. JB Weld is rather slow to harden (several hours, I think), so you'd probably be better off buying the faster hardening stuff. They sell stuff that will harden in 5 minutes.

Sam's idea is one of desperation but you are in a desperate situation since you can not go back. What have you got to loose - you just might salvage the watch. It can work in theory. Let us know.

Usil

Edited by Usil

What is the difference in size? Is the gen tube snug in the case or is it way too small? If it is snug, I would simply epoxy it in place. Of course the only proper method would be to make a sleeve that could be pressed into the case, then tapped to match the omega tube.

What is the difference in size? Is the gen tube snug in the case or is it way too small? If it is snug, I would simply epoxy it in place. Of course the only proper method would be to make a sleeve that could be pressed into the case, then tapped to match the omega tube.

Yes Andreww, this is the options I would like to take the most. However, finding someone to work on a rep and do this type of job...I don't know...The epoxy, I've tried but the torque of tightening the crown has been too much for it to stay in place. I will try a different epoxy again before attempting the JB Weld method.

What about putting the Weld directly on the threads of the tube and afixing it in that way? This would sacrifice the tube in a way because I wouldn't be able to unscrew it ever...but maybe this is the best method since finding someone to retap a rep might be hard. I'll do a little more asking about that first. I've found plenty of Rolex tapping tools, no Omega...

BTW, for future information, would it have been possible to cut down the original tube flush with the case, then drill and tap that to accommodate the Omega tube?

So here is what I ended up doing. First, I did think if cutting the rep tube down, fixing it in the case and having it retapped. That is not a possibility in my case as they were too close in size and I didn't have the tool nor could I find anyone who owned a tapping tool for Omega on this board. That also prohibited the suggestion of filling the hole, drilling and retapping. My only other option was to mix up some JB Weld(other two part epoxys didn't hold the torque)and very very carefully just paint the threaded part of the tube. I slid it into the case and then pulled it in and out and around to tack it up completely. I scraped away the excess Weld and pressed it into the case. I put it under a hot light and let it sit overnight. I am happy to report that it was a success!!! The only problem now is that the gen tube is so much longer that the rep tube, I'll have to get a stem extender or a new stem for 2836. Not a big deal. Thanks for all the input and advice.

Andreww...in response to you suggestion about in the future, possible fixes...I saw on Ofrei that they sell an assortment of tubes. If I could find the proper tap, I would purchase that assortment and try to fix one of them with Weld. It's splitting hairs because the gen tube threads are not that much smaller than the rep tube without threads. In the end I didn't see the harm in having my tube permanently fixed in the case.