When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A7750 Day-Wheel does not work anymore

simzger

Hello

Today I looked at my IWC 3717 and saw that on my day-wheel, the day was in the middle between Saturday and Sunday. As it was 11:30am I thaught I just add 12 hours and everything would be fine...however, nothing happened, whenever it passed 12 o'clock the day wheel just wouldn't move. So I put the crown in one step to go into day and date setting mode...however, I think i forgot to put it on 5:30 before i did that. So now everything is totally messed up. The day-wheel is totally stuck. I can still get it to move but it is very hard and the crown starts to slip, meaning there is a clicking sound in the crown even though the day-wheel does not move.

So my questions are:

1) What do you think happened here?

2) Is the movement maybe broken because i tried to set the date between 10 and 2? (did i break the gears?)

3) If that is the case, can the movement be fixed by a good watchsmith, or is it hard to get the replacement parts for that?

Thank you very much!

Simon

Edited by simzger

Common problem.

The day wheel (unlike the datewheel) is not attached to the movement, it sits loose on top of the movement and the dial holds it in place. There is supposed to be minimal spacing between the dial and the day wheel to prevent it from popping off.

The rep doesn't have a washer installed on the wheel whereas ETA movements have a washer. The washer helps to keep the wheel in place.

Many rep dials have too much space betwen the day wheel and the dial.

Some reps actually have a cut out depression on the backside of the dial and that worsens the problem.

The fix is to take the hands and dial off, inspect and find the problem, add the washer, and hope that you can fix the defect.

If The Zigmeister is not too busy and will take the work, send to him...

Hello

Today I looked at my IWC 3717 and saw that on my day-wheel, the day was in the middle between Saturday and Sunday. As it was 11:30am I thaught I just add 12 hours and everything would be fine...however, nothing happened, whenever it passed 12 o'clock the day wheel just wouldn't move. So I put the crown in one step to go into day and date setting mode...however, I think i forgot to put it on 5:30 before i did that. So now everything is totally messed up. The day-wheel is totally stuck. I can still get it to move but it is very hard and the crown starts to slip, meaning there is a clicking sound in the crown even though the day-wheel does not move.

So my questions are:

1) What do you think happened here?

2) Is the movement maybe broken because i tried to set the date between 10 and 2? (did i break the gears?)

3) If that is the case, can the movement be fixed by a good watchsmith, or is it hard to get the replacement parts for that?

Thank you very much!

Simon

Common problem.

The day wheel (unlike the datewheel) is not attached to the movement, it sits loose on top of the movement and the dial holds it in place. There is supposed to be minimal spacing between the dial and the day wheel to prevent it from popping off.

The rep doesn't have a washer installed on the wheel whereas ETA movements have a washer. The washer helps to keep the wheel in place.

Many rep dials have too much space betwen the day wheel and the dial.

Some reps actually have a cut out depression on the backside of the dial and that worsens the problem.

The fix is to take the hands and dial off, inspect and find the problem, add the washer, and hope that you can fix the defect.

dear zigmeister, thanks a lot for the answer.

another weirdness is that i can still set the day-wheel via the crown. it doesn't go easy though and also, the day names are then not straight aligned but somewhere in between two days.

even though i can set it via crown, the day does not change if the time passes 12 o'clock. maybe i did mess up the gearings? because i tried to set the day and date when it was 11:30.....how can i find out whether that gearing is broken or not? if it's broken, are parts available at a good watch smith?

thanks

simon

Hi Simon, hi everyone

I have the exact same problem on a wonderful PAM164 I got from a respected member here in RWG. I am quite certain that I messed the movement up while trying to set the date at the wrong time. Stupid me.

I have read Pug's excellent tutorial for a date wheel swap and contemplate trying to fix the problem myself (I'm in Switzerland, sending watches around is dangerous and finding a local Rep friendly watchmaker nearly impossible).

I'm not too savvy working in movements. Experts, I'd be grateful for the brutal truth: Do I stand a chance fixing this myself or must I look for another way?

Sorry Simon, not meant to highjack your thread, maybe this could be interesting for you too.

Kind regards

Valerian

Hi Simon, hi everyone

I have the exact same problem on a wonderful PAM164 I got from a respected member here in RWG. I am quite certain that I messed the movement up while trying to set the date at the wrong time. Stupid me.

I have read Pug's excellent tutorial for a date wheel swap and contemplate trying to fix the problem myself (I'm in Switzerland, sending watches around is dangerous and finding a local Rep friendly watchmaker nearly impossible).

I'm not too savvy working in movements. Experts, I'd be grateful for the brutal truth: Do I stand a chance fixing this myself or must I look for another way?

Sorry Simon, not meant to highjack your thread, maybe this could be interesting for you too.

Kind regards

Valerian

hello valerian,

i think we're talking about two different problems:

1) the exchange of the datewheel....i am about to get it done as well, but i'm not doing it myself...the chances that i mess up are just too big. however, there are swiss watchsmithes working with reps...i am from switzerland as well. just check the yellow pages, find a freelancing watchsmith, they're doing pretty much everything

2) the broken day- and date-setting gears are a different problem, i don't know anything about it, i think it will break something inside the movement, saw it in one of The Zigmeister's disassemblings of the a7750. however, i would be interested how you can check whether it is broken or not. and if it IS broken, are the parts available to fix it or can even eta 7750 parts be used.

simon

Now this gets even more interesting! :) I've been refused by two indy watchmakers already...

Sorry for being unclear: I'm not interested in the datewheel swap, but Pug's tutorial shows how to GET to the datewheel. I think the problem is with date wheel transportation; if I remove the date wheel I might be able to put a washer and fix it.

I'll shut up now and let's wait if YOUR questions are answered, it's your thread.

Kind regards

Val.

hello valerian,

i think we're talking about two different problems:

1) the exchange of the datewheel....i am about to get it done as well, but i'm not doing it myself...the chances that i mess up are just too big. however, there are swiss watchsmithes working with reps...i am from switzerland as well. just check the yellow pages, find a freelancing watchsmith, they're doing pretty much everything

2) the broken day- and date-setting gears are a different problem, i don't know anything about it, i think it will break something inside the movement, saw it in one of The Zigmeister's disassemblings of the a7750. however, i would be interested how you can check whether it is broken or not. and if it IS broken, are the parts available to fix it or can even eta 7750 parts be used.

simon

Now this gets even more interesting! :) I've been refused by two indy watchmakers already...

Sorry for being unclear: I'm not interested in the datewheel swap, but Pug's tutorial shows how to GET to the datewheel. I think the problem is with date wheel transportation; if I remove the date wheel I might be able to put a washer and fix it.

I'll shut up now and let's wait if YOUR questions are answered, it's your thread.

Kind regards

Val.

I think the "not transporting the datewheel" problem and the "messing up the a7750 movement by setting the date at the wrong time" are two different problems.

I think if the latter is the case, then the movement is messed up deep inside and opening up and repositining the datwheel won't do anything.

Maybe someone who knows more can help.

Simon