When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removing Crown Tube

kbiz

I made up a short piece or round stock on the lathe with a shoulder, This goes thru the tube from the inside until the shoulder is against the inside rim of the tube. You can then pull like crazy on that until the glue breaks. Usually thats pretty easy.

A couple of times I was successful in removing the tube by using this tool that I found in chinese screwdrivers box-sets:

tool.jpg

This goes into the tube from the inside. Then a few sharp hammer strokes, and the tube came out.

It is also a useful tool to push down the stem release button.

Guest avitt

I just had to remove a tube, so I thought I'd take a few pics to show my (pretty much) foolproof method.

First, you've got to make a "tube removal" tool. I used a stainless steel screw, purchased from a hobby shop. You want one that is just a little too large to fit through the hole in the tube.

You want to turn down the end of the screw, so that the tip will fit into the tube. If you have a lathe handy, good for you! If not, you can do the job by chucking the screw in a hand drill (cut the head of the screw off first), and holding the drill in a vise.

The result should look like this:

img5767p.jpg

Ideally, the tip of the tool should extend just beyond the end of the tube. This will help to protect the tube in the next steps.

img5768u.jpg

The next step is to find a thin piece of wood, and drill a hole partially through it. The hole should just slightly larger in diameter than than the tube:

img5770e.jpg

img5771.jpg

Now, it's just a matter of lining everything up, and giving the tool a slight squeeze with pliers:

img5772y.jpg

Success is guaranteed :thumbsupsmileyanim:

img5775h.jpg

A slight variation on Avitt's technique is the use a G clamp (screw up type clamp) to apply the pressure instead of pliers. I find its more controlled and there less chance of slipping and damaging the case.

Just finished a little different technique.

First had to make the tool...

dsc00332c.jpg

dsc00335kma.jpg

Then secure the case in my machining vice... being careful to protect the case... and secure the vice to the base...

dsc00338g.jpg

Then I chuck the tool in the drill head and simply lift...

dsc00343g.jpg