When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some PVD Pre V and a custom FGD dial added in.

RWG Technical

This is my own sourced PVD coating, and a FGD dial, the results are wonderful.

The dial is lumed my own custom vintage Tritium mix, and the hands are also my own custom colour done up lighter as per the genuine watch.

I get the PVD done at the same factory that Panerai used for the original Pre-V watches. I do all the teardown and prep work, send the cases directly to the coating factory, and then assemble the final product when the coating is completed. The end results are very impressive. Hope you like it as much as I do...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

hi zig,

amazing result.

but........here is the main question.

how do you know which pvd company used panerai for their pre-vendome watches ?????

as far as i know, only mario paci and dino zei, both former chiefs from the old panerai company florence

and maybe the one or other employee know the pvd company in connection their pre-vendome pvd models.

rolli

This is my own sourced PVD coating, and a FGD dial, the results are wonderful.

The dial is lumed my own custom vintage Tritium mix, and the hands are also my own custom colour done up lighter as per the genuine watch.

I get the PVD done at the same factory that Panerai used for the original Pre-V watches. I do all the teardown and prep work, send the cases directly to the coating factory, and then assemble the final product when the coating is completed. The end results are very impressive. Hope you like it as much as I do...

hi zig,

amazing result.

but........here is the main question.

how do you know which pvd company used panerai for their pre-vendome watches ?????

as far as i know, only mario paci and dino zei, both former chiefs from the old panerai company florence

and maybe the one or other employee know the pvd company in connection their pre-vendome pvd models.

rolli

Of course the PVD company knows what they have done ... :) I was told this and I have no reason to not believe the person who passed on the information to me.

Do you know?

when i want to know which company it is, then i would ask direct mario paci, and no other person,

that's not reliable, too many poeple talk too much and think they are very important persons.

i have in connection with a friend in castelfiorentino / tuscany / italy a direct contact to mario paci,

both are friends and worked together for 25 years.

if i want to know this pvd company, this would be very easy for me.

i work together in a special project with this italian friend.

but........i don't need this information, because for the pvd coatings i already work with a famous swiss company

which is also located here near my city. and the professional result is more than top.

rolli

Of course the PVD company knows what they have done ... :) I was told this and I have no reason to not believe the person who passed on the information to me.

Do you know?

I am not promising anything to anyone.

The PVD coating company I use is also very famous and does great work (pictures speak for themselves) and I am not going to call my long time RWG friend a liar.

Unless someone can prove it wrong, I am going to trust in my friends word, what reasons would he have to lie about this? if you can't trust your friends, who can you trust?

Back on topic, FGD dials rule! thanks S.

hi avitt,

maybe it is correct or not the statement from unclejay,

but........... you know it is always the word BUT.........

to hear that from a third person and to talk forwards to other persons and so on and so on...

is that believable ?????

for me not.

for me a statement is only believable, when it only comes direct from the company with a letter with affirmation.

otherwise it is only blah...blah....blah......

it's never a good advertising for this service.

and...to use this promise to greenhorns, in terms of the authenticity of the pvd company, this for my taste is too much,

and more than overstated.

rolli

I recall member UncleJay stating that the PVD work for PAM Pre-V, A, and B models was originally done by Vacor AG in Switzerland.

Stunning!!!

Definately have to do either a PVD or DLC FGD 201a when I get my dial in his upcoming run

Zig

May I ask where you sourced the case?? I have a proper old school Davidson Pre V case for my FGD 202a but I can't seem to find another for my future 201a project

Well, original company or else, that is a masterwork.

The dial is incredible.

The lume -- wow!

Oh well...

Sorry, I don't know or remember the origin of this particular case.

As for the PVD coating...it's PVD coating, not making clone babies from stem cells...sheesh...what is the big deal.

I will continue to trust my friends, people lie when there is a motive, in this case, no motive = no reason to lie.

Back on topic, the PVD and the end results look good, nothing else matters...glad the members like it.

trust is good if possible, control is better.

rolli

Sorry, I don't know or remember the origin of this particular case.

As for the PVD coating...it's PVD coating, not making clone babies from stem cells...sheesh...what is the big deal.

I will continue to trust my friends, people lie when there is a motive, in this case, no motive = no reason to lie.

Back on topic, the PVD and the end results look good, nothing else matters...glad the members like it.

It looks great Zig, I love the dial and hands.

PVD coating is very nice too. Seeing it in person with other pvd oem case would be nice. Does not matter where it was done as long as it matches the orginal.

I would also like to compare in side by side in person, but it's hard to find a doner case.

I did up another post with a comparison to a genuine PVD crown, best I could come up with.

And I agree, as long as it looks good, it's all good... :)

Holy sh1t Rolli, calm down!! As Zig says it's just a PVD coating!! He didn't say he had your mamas special spaghetti sauce!! :p

From what I'm told it looks awesome Zig and I'm certainly not going to doubt you or your source!! Your name speaks for itself in my opinion!

Just as an aside, what happened to that wicked cool stealth number you built ? It was near the begining of the year Ithink it was. We all had a discussion about touching colour onto the tips of seconds hands etc. That was an amazing sounding watch, would love to know how it turned out!!

Sixx :bones:

if it looks good with a nice gen like shade to it (and it does) and the cost is reasonable i really don't care where it came from. for a pre-v build i would be taking a cape cod to it anyway so my main concern is that i start out with a proper shade of pvd.

this watch looks great. the dial is great, i'd still like more pictures of the profile of the case and between the lugs. the CG is..meh though.

Just as an aside, what happened to that wicked cool stealth number you built ? It was near the begining of the year Ithink it was. We all had a discussion about touching colour onto the tips of seconds hands etc. That was an amazing sounding watch, would love to know how it turned out!!

One day I went to my watch winder...and there is was...GONE! The Stealth that is, not my watch winder... :)

It has a new home, and I believe I did put up the final picture when it was all finished, here it is:

212.jpg

I am planning on doing some more custom PVD stuff, and have another 212 that I may use again...or another case for something different...

I would also like to compare in side by side in person, but it's hard to find a doner case.

I did up another post with a comparison to a genuine PVD crown, best I could come up with.

And I agree, as long as it looks good, it's all good... :)

I have an A series case, if you want to compare. I need to put a lelo wheel on it and a oem crown if you want take it in.

Nice, you went for the blue, very nice choice!! Been described to me in detail and it's as stunning as I expected!! I must have missed the final picture going up, but thank you very much for this one!! I so wish it's new home was my watch box!! It's a stunner!

Sixx :bones:

Here is how you conclude that the Company who coated your watch did work for Panerai. You call the company and start with "have you done work on an oem basis for watch companies?". Then if they say yes, you follow up with the question "what Companies have you done work for in the past?" When they answer Panerai as the second in a list of three companies I concluded they are the real deal. I am not the friend who recommended the company to Ziggy but am a different friend who called the Company and asked. :D But as a number of people have said - it doesn't matter who did it as long as it looks good. And your stuff looks fabulous as well.

And finally, on the question of comparing a coating with gen that is still very difficult because any gen has had skin oil and the elements degrading the finish for years.