When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

36000 bph vs 28800 bph

t0t0_b0y

Hi there,

I want to know if a 36000 bph movement will have a smoother sweeping hand than a 28800 bph movement?

I know the 36000 bph will definitely has a higher frequency that 28800 bph but will it be obvious in terms of the smoothness?

Moreover, I heard that movement with 36000 bph is prone to wear and tear and thus most of the movements available is at 28800 bph, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks guys

The 'sweep' of the higher 36000a/h beat rate is smoother than 28800a/h, but not by much; we're talking 10 ticks per second compared to 8 ticks per second.

The longevity of such a movement would only be a concern when not properly maintained; as long as these movements are serviced at appropriate intervals, they should last as long as any other movement.

Here's a pair of my own 36000bph movements:

IMG_4480.jpg

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4504.jpg

IMG_4445.jpg

The Movado signed El Primero 400/3019 is probably around 30 years old and still running strong.

Hmmm... I'm not quite sure I understand your question, BROM. Are you asking whether it is a modular construction chrono (i.e. a module added to a standard base movement)?

The Ebel 134 is the El Primero 400; it's a fully integrated chronograph with a 36000bph rate. The 134 is definitely a chronograph movement built specifically with that complication in mind.