When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2824 and 2892 compatibility and advantages?

JohnDorian

Just curious but are these two movements compatible in most watches? That is, if a case is designed to take a 2824, can it also take a 2892 or would it be a case by case (pun intended) basis?

Also, what are the main advantages of a 2892 over a higher grade 2824 besides dimensions?

Interesting questions.

The 2892 is a thinner and more refined movement.

It can also be used in a modular way, such as attaching chrono modules (the AP ROO movement in the genuine uses a similar modular system with a JLC base movement and a Dubois Dupraz chrono module, which also fits on a 2892) and power reserve modules (see PAM 027, 028).

To answer your question, I would think you could fit the 2892 in a 2824 case, but I have no idea about hand sizes. Replacing a 2892 with a 2824 will depend on the case thickness.

I wonder if things like datewheels are interchangeable ?

Edited by Chronus

Only certain parts are interchangeable with ETA2824. They are not of the same base. As you stated, 2892 is a thinner movement so you may have to deal with crown tube/crown placement issue as well as movement retainer/how to fit the movement into the case issue.

Good point. It's just my understand that 2892 is the best ETA makes outside of custom runs of things like the Omega 1120 or 2500c. I think it's supposed to be theoretically more reliable, robust, and shock tolerant than the 2824. But I'm curious if this is actually the case and if maybe a top grade 2824 is just as good.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I have a few questions that are very similar to this.

I'm looking to fit a 2892A2 inside this the site says the case is 13mm thick if that's any help.

I've emailed josh for some more measurements.

But what gives me faith that this will work, is the fact that the same watch case is sold with a "genuine" 2836 as well as the cheap 2813.

As you can see here, the diameter, watch hand sizes, and calibre are the same, the only difference is the thickness.

It's a bit early for me to be planning such things but before I buy the watch, I'd like to know if it will fit so I won't have to buy (another rep in the future/a movement I can't use).

I do have the option of getting a movement spacer/holder/retainer custom made out of any material via Autodesk capable CNC machines. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should make it out off I'd very much appreciate it. If anyone has any photos or the like of how Rolex holds their movements in, please send them to me as whatever material they use, I'd like to use to mod a good quality rep.

Hands will cross over as the pinions are all the same size. As the movement is thinner, the height position of the stem will likely differ; not only will the crown not thread down, but the added tension will cause stems to snap.

To avoid this, would positioning the movement farther back help?

Edited by OrenG