When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I miss my rolex, now i need to get more!

ranisavage

Well i never thought i would miss a watch as much as i do my rolex gmt IIc. All my watches are usually in the 42+ range and i never thought i would like the rolex so much that i miss it! It's not the most beautiful watch i have but it was the perfect size for everyday wear and it was a looker at that. I probably will be without it for a month and a half so i would like to know what other rolex's are at the same quality level as the GMT IIc

When WM9 makes a GMT IIc i will definitely be jumping on one.

I wouldn't mind a daytona but the movement issues are one thing and i want a watch that i could keep running constantly. Any suggestions with photos? A datejust II would be awesome as would a nice day date II but i heard both are not the greatest anyone beg to differ?

Guest HaloArchive

Read freddy's writeup of the movement and how under GOOD CARE will last forever. You would need to be willing to spend a hundred or so to get the watch serviced properly and all of the gook cleaned out :)

Cheers~

H

Yeah if the movement gets replaced i'll look into servicing it properly since it's an amazing watch. But what other rolex's share that amazing feel, i used to think rolex's feel cheap but the GMT IIc changed my perception of the brand. Although still people always ask if it's fake it's just one of those things.

Guest HaloArchive

Yeah, the Daytona is nice because it is totally understated and most people dont think that often as Daytona being a rep. It also wears very nicely :) It feels like it wears smaller than the sub even!

Yeah if the movement gets replaced i'll look into servicing it properly since it's an amazing watch. But what other rolex's share that amazing feel, i used to think rolex's feel cheap but the GMT IIc changed my perception of the brand. Although still people always ask if it's fake it's just one of those things.

I used to think Rolexs felt cheap and lightweight, but what changed my perception of the brand, was being told that originally, they were not designed as prestige fashion watches, but functional tool watches. The lightweight, flimsy clasps of the Submariners always bugged me, as I felt they were not appropriate to a watch of such cost and prestige, but, when I was told to think of a Rolex as a car which has been stripped down for speed and performance, rather than comfort and prestige, I began to appreciate them for what they are, rather than criticizing them for what they are not (and were not initially designed as) Before I was 30 and married, I felt a little uncomfortable wearing a Rolex, and now although my Rolex is the only functional watch in my collection, so I have no choice about wearing it, I actually feel comfortable wearing it. The GMTIIC is the first Rolex I've tried on (in gen form) which immediately impressed me. I didn't think that it was worth the AD price tag, but that's just down to me being against consumerism. Had it had a reasonable (ie rep-level :lol: ) price tag, I would have thought that it was an awesome watch for an awesome price :) If you used to feel that Rolexs were cheap, then I'd suggest staying away from the older models of GMT/Sea-Dweller/Submariner/etc, as they will all have that 'flimsy feel' to them. You might enjoy the Deep Sea Sea Dweller though :) With regards Daytonas, I've never worn one on a bracelet, but, some do have a different clasp than the Oyster bracelets, so may have a more substantial feel to them, but I wouldn't like to say for sure... If you're concerned about the 7750 movement, why not try one with a quartz movement? I know, quartz in a Rolex, sacrilege, but it might be a way of getting a feel for the watch itself, without having to worry about the movement keeling over on you... Best of luck with your purchases :good:

Jeez dude, you seem to be sending a lot of watches back - first the MM GTXL chrono now this GMT.

If it makes you feel any better, I recently ordered a GMT IIc with asian clone movement and it arrived DOA, I sent it back, was sent a second one which also came DOA. I'm done with a dropshipped GMT IIc, no more.

I may get one from a dealer willing to run the watch a few days to make sure it works, those asian movements modded for GMT are not stable.

I sent the 2nd one one back yesterday and am getting a credit towards a BCE. So far I've spent $60 on shipping with no reimbursement.

Anyway, sorry to digress.

How about an ultimate Seadweller, regular one, not the DSSD?

No worries about mis-aligned cyclops.

It's such a pure, functional perfect design, absolutely iconic.

Jeez dude, you seem to be sending a lot of watches back - first the MM GTXL chrono now this GMT.

If it makes you feel any better, I recently ordered a GMT IIc with asian clone movement and it arrived DOA, I sent it back, was sent a second one which also came DOA. I'm done with a dropshipped GMT IIc, no more.

I may get one from a dealer willing to run the watch a few days to make sure it works, those asian movements modded for GMT are not stable.

I sent the 2nd one one back yesterday and am getting a credit towards a BCE. So far I've spent $60 on shipping with no reimbursement.

Damn, sorry to hear about you continued issues, the recent GMTIIcs are starting to look like a dodgy batch :( I would like to get one when I can afford to, which might not be a while, but I hope they resolve these movement issues before I do come to buy one...

Anyway, sorry to digress.

How about an ultimate Seadweller, regular one, not the DSSD?

No worries about mis-aligned cyclops.

It's such a pure, functional perfect design, absolutely iconic.

I think the bracelet might be a bit lightweight for the OPs taste... Then again, my opinion and perspective on Rolex changed, so maybe theirs might as well :)

Thanks for sympathy TeeJay.

I really don't know what's going on with the asian clone GMT movements but I got 2 that were DOA, almost seems too much of a coincidence.

The dealer said the 2nd one they ran the watch for 2 days before shipping and it ran fine. I got it and could not get it to wind and run.

So right now I don't know what to do, I don't have a GMT IIc, not sure where to buy one with confidence.

Again, sorry for the digression from the OP's query, but this is relevant. He's sending his GMT IIc back also.

Thanks for sympathy TeeJay.

I really don't know what's going on with the asian clone GMT movements but I got 2 that were DOA, almost seems too much of a coincidence.

The dealer said the 2nd one they ran the watch for 2 days before shipping and it ran fine. I got it and could not get it to wind and run.

So right now I don't know what to do, I don't have a GMT IIc, not sure where to buy one with confidence.

Again, sorry for the digression from the OP's query, but this is relevant. He's sending his GMT IIc back also.

No problem :) Indeed, it does seem too likely to be coincidental, especially with more reports of DOA watches (not just the GMTIIC) cropping up. I wouldn't want to say that the dealer was lying about running the watch for two days, I guess it depends if they had it in their possession or if it was just drop-shipped, or, maybe it was simply damaged in transit... The only thing I could suggest, is either send it back for replacement (which could also be faulty) or, keep the DOA GMTIIC, order another GMT watch, such as the EXP II or regular GMT II and then perform a movement transplant and sell the remainder of the donor watch as spares... Best of luck with achieving a satisfactory resolution :good:

Yeah, the Daytona is nice because it is totally understated and most people dont think that often as Daytona being a rep.

Never thought of a Daytona as being understated. In fact, for most of the model's lifespan, it sat, unsold, in most dealers' cases because it was seen as too over-the-top for a gentleman to wear anywhere outside of a racetrack. Certainly, the threshold of acceptable fashion has shifted in recent years (& not necessarily in a good direction in my opinion), but I still cannot imagine using the term understated in reference to a Daytona, especially the (too-polished) modern (1165xx) versions.

My GMT worked great just that the bracelet fell apart which could have been fixed by me using some locktite but i was particular about the date changeover issue on several days of the month. It was an amazing watch and i don't deal with the dealer that sent me the Chopard anymore i have sent that watch back 3 times now! My new favourite dealer has been extremely helpfull and hand inspects every watch before sending out and even sends me pictures. The date issue was something out of his control and couldn't have found unless he ran the watch on a winder and checked every evening for the date changeover.

I have had 3 fully functional watches from my new dealer of choice my B&R is amazing and so is the Cartier and the AP is holding up really well.

Guest HaloArchive
Never thought of a Daytona as being understated. In fact, for most of the model's lifespan, it sat, unsold, in most dealers' cases because it was seen as too over-the-top for a gentleman to wear anywhere outside of a racetrack. Certainly, the threshold of acceptable fashion has shifted in recent years (& not necessarily in a good direction in my opinion), but I still cannot imagine using the term understated in reference to a Daytona, especially the (too-polished) modern (1165xx) versions.

Sorry, I should of refered to the 6263. I concur that the new 1165xx versions are gody. But as the simple classic Daytona, it is understated in my opinion. I believe that is due to the exclusiveness of the piece and the fact that it does not have that sawtooth bezel which reflects light in every which direction.

H

I agree that the newer ones are too much polish. Like most of rolex, the daytona got away from the basic (although expensive, even back then) tool watch.