When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Service or new swiss!

asciwhite

Just bought a brand new Ebel 1911 Discovery panda. This will be a permanent addition to my collection. A complete service at the watch smith are about $155 witch is a good option.

However. On the other hand I can get my hands on a genuine Swiss valjoux movement made in April this year, ready to put in and everything will be pure gravy! BUT! that is a $375 option, witch is a bit pricey for me.

Will the Asian 7750 live and be accurate just as long as its Swiss counterpart? Is Swiss a viable option or is it just for "I have a Swiss valjoux!" factor??

I will receive the watch tomorrow, and since it will be permanent I want it as perfect as it can be!

:wub:

post-21269-1247579762_thumb.jpg

Just run it till it dies then put a swiss movement if you're really convinced then it's permanent. Don't know how many times I've said "This is forever" about a watch and then end up selling it a few weeks later for the next one.

Hell! That did not even cross my mind! Surely a very good option. I will just have to see if it keeps good time. If not a service will be unavoidable I think :) And then run it into the ground and get a Swiss... Exxelent JohnDorian.

EDIT: Looks like my brain is misfiring today :p

Just run it till it dies then put a swiss movement if you're really convinced then it's permanent. Don't know how many times I've said "This is forever" about a watch and then end up selling it a few weeks later for the next one.

-Ditto-

but, I believe it was Ziggmiester who said that " a fully serviced A7750 with sec@9 is as good as a Swiss ETA"........please don't qoute me on this, it might not be The Zigmeister!

Guest avitt

The Asian 7750 has proven to be a highly reliable movement, and their availability has been increasing.

While I might pick up a well priced ETA 7750 for its appreciation value, it's growing increasingly difficult to justify their use in replica watches.

I'd run the A7750 until you have a problem, and then replace it with a new A7750 ;)

I have two A7750 and winding them... they do not feel nearly as smooth as a gen ETA 7750, it almost sounds like I'm breaking it. Of course, I know nothing about how well made a movement is. I think the biggest risk is you don't know if you're getting a good A7750 vs a poorly built older one. There just seems to be a much bigger variance on quality as opposed to a newly built gen ETA 7750 which seem to be more consistent in quality.

I have two A7750 and winding them... they do not feel nearly as smooth as a gen ETA 7750, it almost sounds like I'm breaking it. Of course, I know nothing about how well made a movement is. I think the biggest risk is you don't know if you're getting a good A7750 vs a poorly built older one. There just seems to be a much bigger variance on quality as opposed to a newly built gen ETA 7750 which seem to be more consistent in quality.

pretty sure you're not supposed to hand-wind A7750s

Surprised no one mentioned-- if you do the swap, there is a slight difference in hand sizes between the A7750 28.8 and Val/ETA 7750. The large chrono seconds hand will need forced or broached IIRC.

-Ditto-

but, I believe it was Ziggmiester who said that " a fully serviced A7750 with sec@9 is as good as a Swiss ETA"........please don't qoute me on this, it might not be The Zigmeister!

It WAS The Zigmeister.

He said that putting a Swiss 7750 in a rep is a waste of money. The Asian is EXCELLENT.

It WAS The Zigmeister.

He said that putting a Swiss 7750 in a rep is a waste of money. The Asian is EXCELLENT.

Then a normal service it is :) Thanks all you guys!!

Its great to have so much info and people to give it! Prevents me from doing stupid things.

Then a normal service it is :) Thanks all you guys!!

Its great to have so much info and people to give it! Prevents me from doing stupid things.

Not at all, I still do dumb things all the time!! :D

I have the exact same watch and you're right, it's going to be a keeper for a good while!! I love mine, they just feel perfect on, good size but doesn't take over your arm like some other big chronos do!

I'm sending mine, along with a few others, to Bricolli (Domi) next month after his vacation. Have only heard great things about him and,mine like yours, is going to be a keeper so I would rather get it serviced now rather than wait till it's internals are in tatters!! He charges 90euros for a chrono full service plus parts if needed. Can't argue with that at all and his modding skills seem to be top notch!!

Unfortunately we all can't fly our watches to The Zig or the the poor guy would be found under a pile of A7750 reps, but in Bricolli (I think thats how it's spelt?!) we have a pretty good substitute in my mind!!

Sixx :bones:

Hey Panda owners! I'm geting one of these shortly and would like oppinions on the AR. Is it good or would a dose of ChiefTang lovin be an improvement?

I know it's a white dial and therefor not as critical but this will def be a keeper and a favorite so I want the best. I ask now because it is easier to order a spare crystal with the watch so as not to have my new baby siting around for weeks waiting for the crystal to come back.

Also, how is the lume? Everything else bar the pushers is perfect so these are the only issues that concern me since geting gen pushers would be next to impossible.

Regards, Col.

Just got the watch from the postman! STUNNING! I think the AR is more than good enough :)

However THIS watch deserves a full service and some love, Not gonna leave my wrist for a looong time...

However there is some slack when you set the time. Is that normal on A7750? And will it subside after service?

Nope, it won't be like a swiss ever. That's why I went the S7750 route. Gives a robust feel when you set the time / date, or use the chronograph. The watch doesn't have the light asian feel anymore, that's very important for me, and was definetley worth it (again, for me).

Decide yourself, considering if the extra 150-200 USD is worth it, or not.

Hope I could help.

Hey Col, haven't spoken to you in ages mate!! Hope you're well!!

Having never seen the AR on my rep I can't say for sure, but the people who know about this stuff and have seen my Ebel have all commented on the way the dial 'pops'. I'm guessing for rep ar it's pretty stunning. But as has been said, you can't beat a bit of Chiefy love!!!

Sixx :bones: