When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Zenith Defy Tourbillonnnnnn

OmegaPOFL

WOW

check it out...

thumb_3164_07cc5f7d137a85ad9bbd27e9d79afd39.jpg

3106_838e82206886be74cd7727e7ef529219.jpg

Zenith-Defy-Xtreme-Tourbillon-Zero-G-Watch-3.jpg

"Swiss Watch maker Zenith introduced several very nice watches in their DEFY XTREME 2009 collection. The Defy Xtreme Tourbillon ZERO-G is a mean looking master piece that actually defies gravity. ZENITH has devised a Zero-G (zero gravity) system. The gyroscope cage Tourbillon comprises an escapement mounted on cardan joints rather like marine chronometers. The instrument, which is sensitive to changes of position, is kept in a constant horizontal position, thereby ensuring optimal amplitude for the spiral balance-wheel."

oh....yeah, its gonna cost $500,000

Amazing bit of engineering, but kind of confusing as its the super fragile toubilon housed in a super rugged action man type case.

My guess is the movement is so fat that only the Defy case would fit it.

This is just a "halo" watch anyway, its job is the bring attention and prestige to a line thats otherwise just massively overpriced sportswatches.

Zenith is among the finest watch brands which should have everyone's respect... but I'm not crazy about their new designs at all.

I don't know why they don't offer the traditional models like Flyback ELP Chronograph anymore.

I guess all new Zeniths are kinda love/hate watches.

Seems as though Zenith has taken a rather extreme direction change since Thierry Nataf was put in charge. A lot of his designs and ideas were very niche, and the entire line seemed to become a little more bizarre and unusual with each year passing. I guess his recent departure from the CEO role a few months back shouldn't come as a huge surprise in that sense; it seems as though he's only isolated the brand to a select few that would appreciate the new direction the brand was taking instead of trying to appeal to a broader customer base for that market share. Afterall, in times of economic slow down like the one we're currently seeing, turn over for such items in general slows considerably; if you're making strange, eccentric watches that only appeal to a few, I can bet that sales numbers dropped like a rock.

If there's one upside to the whole design implementation Nataf was responsible for, it's the cross platform sharing of ideas with TAG under the LVMH umbrella. Seems as though TAG was able to incorporate some of those concepts sucessfully, by taking the designs to a lesser extreme while innovating complication and function. I see a lot of Zenith influence in TAG's designs, but the style and execution is what discerns the two in my eyes.

Seems as though Zenith has taken a rather extreme direction change since Thierry Nataf was put in charge. A lot of his designs and ideas were very niche, and the entire line seemed to become a little more bizarre and unusual with each year passing. I guess his recent departure from the CEO role a few months back shouldn't come as a huge surprise in that sense; it seems as though he's only isolated the brand to a select few that would appreciate the new direction the brand was taking instead of trying to appeal to a broader customer base for that market share. Afterall, in times of economic slow down like the one we're currently seeing, turn over for such items in general slows considerably; if you're making strange, eccentric watches that only appeal to a few, I can bet that sales numbers dropped like a rock.

If there's one upside to the whole design implementation Nataf was responsible for, it's the cross platform sharing of ideas with TAG under the LVMH umbrella. Seems as though TAG was able to incorporate some of those concepts sucessfully, by taking the designs to a lesser extreme while innovating complication and function. I see a lot of Zenith influence in TAG's designs, but the style and execution is what discerns the two in my eyes.

There speaketh a man with infinitely more knowledge than me! :blush: lol :D

@Ubi: That TAG/Zenith link is a good observation. I never thought about that. Some new TAGs definitely have similarity to new Zenith. SLR chrono, Grand Carrera, etc.