When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it Asian dagger swan neck UNITAS 6497 or swiss dagger swan neck UNITAS 6497

dvn

I just compared your pictures with my DSN PAM217 that was confirmed by VAC (he serviced it!) as Swiss UNITAS 6497 and your movement looks exactly the same down to the of the screw and Jewels!

Hope that helps!

Excellent Asian to me. There may be some swiss parts as well.

And... PAM bridges and dagger swan neck always are either Asian or genuine Panerai. :)

As far as I'm aware the movements sold by the dealers as 'Swiss' always use Asian balance assemblies and bridges to mimic the gen. They are, as someone coined the phrase 'Swinese' and normally can be identified by the stamped markings, the Asian uses decals ...

@ sssurfer, I doubt genuine Panerai parts are used on them very much indeed...

Edit: compare the different bridge shapes on a gen ETA to those of the gen Panerai 'H' movement...

geneta6497.jpg

paneraiopxeta6497201.jpg

Edited by sconehead

The asian movements are replications of the higher grade ETA 6497-2 with 21.600 bph - that's the reason for the different balance.

I doubt that any rep will be equipped with a 6497-2. Those are much rarer and much more expensive than the standard 6497 with 18.000 bph.

Gen Panerais use a 6497-2 as base movement modded with the panerai style bridges, polished gears and some blued screws.

The asian 6497-2 is much more accurate to the gen than an ETA 6497-1. It is cheaper and when serviced very reliable. I'd go for the asian movement every time.

Depends on what you have paid for the watch...............

just compare prices.........a gen ETA 6497-2 cost $86( 59 euro) ex 19% tax at my wholesaler.......an asian 6497-2 about $20 ex tax.

So adding ETAparts on an Asian would make the movement much more expensive

• 2 weeks later...