When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM009 recommendation

catboy

hi, new here and trying to find some info on PVD PAM009 to fuel my rep-fire! I have just ordered a mini fiddy and anxiously waiting for it to arrive and have totally fallen for the PVD PAM009 and been doing a bit of reading up..

i've read about PVD process and how the finish can vary, also some info on DSN and his watches and a thread about peoples favourite DSN watches which seems to bode well for his quality, service and the "out of the box" goodness he offers!.. I got an email from him last night confirming he has 009 instock with a price which I think is quite reasonable, but wondered if there is anyone else I should be considering for this watch or if there is a better version..

i initially fell for the PAM000, however this is apparently not available in a PVD finish and so am leaning towards the 009.. if there is another watch i should know about which is a similar plain pvd design then i would also be interested to hear some info..

sorry if this has been covered already; i've done a search but not really found a lot of information regarding the 009 and which versions/dealers are the best starting point and as im a noob would appreciate any info people cna offer

b :)

My advice would be to build one.

Start with a nice Jimmy case with good CG and take your choice of a palp, T-48 or gen crown, have it beadblasted and then PVD'd and add an FGD dial. This will provide a nice overall result, in my opinion.

Essentially, it would be like this, except PVD'd:

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

Jimmy case, 2nd gen FGD dial, gen crown.

To give you the PVD visual...

IMG_6415.jpg

modified DSN PVD case, 1st gen FGD dial.

thanks for the information, its certainly a tempting route.. i saw a website this afternoon linked from another forum which i found google searching PVD and how the process was done which had a lot of movements, cases, dials, etc. on it all at quite reasonable prices and i was thinking about this option (while i should have been thinking about driving) on the way home.. :)

they had pvd cases with a display case back (something im not too bothered about on a pvd; i'd be perfectly happy with a solid back) for around $40 (+$15 for saphire) dials for about $20 and PVD'ed asian handwind movements (which would work really well with a display back) with cannon pin mod done for about $60.. total cost was looking really good compared to $300 from DSN although i understand there are quite a few mod's done to his watches before sale like cannon pin and crown?

i guess the things which put me off following the self-build route above is that i don't understand a couple of things at this stage due to my noob-ness!

1) whether gen crowns are like rocking horse s**t and expensive

2) who jimmy is

3) who or what FGD is

4) what sort of price pvd and beadblasting would be

5) because of the above what the total cost would be

i have had a little search around and found PVD costs around 500 - 600 dollars US to have done, although that might be because im looking in the wrong place? because of that i might be leaning more towards a pvd case to start with unless they're going to be no good otherwise its a complete write off for me (Im hoping for around $450 total which would have to include buying a nice strap from someone like red12).

also im not sure whether the prices i've listed above (dial, movement, case) are normal, high for no reason, or low because the quality is not great, but i guess this is all down to my lack of experience and knowledge at this stage.. unfortunately i saved a link to the website i found at work so don't have access to it until monday and can't seem to find it through google :(

i like the idea of building my own as it would help my knowledge and also allow me to gain experience and confidence fiddling with watches..

thanks again for the above info, i guess i'll be using the search button a lot this evening!!..

To answer a couple of questions-

1) Gen crowns can indeed be difficult to source. Not sure on current pricing, or where to find as of current. Personally, I like them since they have the double gasket set up:

IMG_3909.jpg

The downside is that most gen SS crowns out there are going to be for an auto movement with a tap 10 stem. The UT6497 hand wind has a tap 6 stem, so you'd need to have the 6497 stem turned down to fit the crown.

As an alternative, you can go with a Palp crown (2.1mm) or a T48, which are both quite nice and an improvement over most rep crowns.

2) The term 'Jimmy' refers to an old eBay seller called 'jimmyfzu'. He had some great aftermarket cases that are very close to gen in terms of detail and dimension.

IMG_3908.jpg

3) FGD is a member here on the forum- fishgodeep. He has created these fantastic Pre-A and Pre-V dials in limited batches. Good stuff.

IMG_2706.jpg

Above are gen 1 (uncased) and gen 2 (cased) dials. Gen 2 had slightly thinner indicies, nice surface finish, etc.

4) + 5) PVD costs may be more reasonable than you think! There are a couple of forum members that can assist with this. Prices and services will vary but I think beadblasting costs are factored into the service price. You definitely want to beadblast as that's what achieves the nice matte finish to the case. If you PVD a polished surface, you get a black shiney finish as a result.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck...

thanks for the info, very informative.. i will have a search tonight and see what information i can find for myself also and hopefully the link to that site for some feedback on whether its any good or not!..

i will also have a look at pvd coating process and see if its something i can have done locally; i have a lot of contacts in electroplating, chemical blacking, etc. so would be interesting to see if any of them can offer pvd coating!

as for machining crowns i have a very good contact for machining who makes a lot of 1 off parts for cars for me including discontinued motorsport parts. im not sure whether he'd be able to turn something so small though (movement spacer rings and things yes, watch crown pins im not so sure! )

thanks again

ok, i did manage to find the link again, it was here..

getat watch co.

..i was quite surprised by the cost of the 44mm PVD case set and PVD movement but not sure wether this would make a good base or i'd be better off going with either a complete DSN watch or trying to find a "jimmy" case and build one up from there

time for more reading and some thinking!!

ok, i did manage to find the link again, it was here..

getat watch co.

..i was quite surprised by the cost of the 44mm PVD case set and PVD movement but not sure wether this would make a good base or i'd be better off going with either a complete DSN watch or trying to find a "jimmy" case and build one up from there

time for more reading and some thinking!!

actually im not completely sure, if it's really pvd coating. especially on the movt.

check out this project by Hike http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...27&hl=getat

i emailed getat about the pvd movement and the response was:

Hello,

That is really PVD GUN colour. Not PVD black colour. The gun colour is like a metallic black. It is more glossy and not matte finished.

And it is produced by movement factory directly. Not we paint it.

Regards,

Getat Watch CO.

you have to take into account the amount of time too...

finding all the right parts (and for a reasonable price) can take a while..BUT it is the best way to go.

or you can have satisfaction in weeks, if you order a dsn :)

goodluck!

Ubi's summed all this up very nicely ....:)

After a couple of years my DSN PVD 202/A case set is looking as close as you can get to my more expensive PVD finished ones. I've used a number of materials to refinish it including a nylon kitchen scouring pad attached to my dremmel and cape cod cloths.!!

The end result is superb, very very gen like- DSN's PVD is great value for an "out of the box" solution.

I think better now as he uses a more standard dial size and CG screw hole!!!

FGD

What the man above said!!! A FGD dial is a must!!!!!!!! Actually two , well maybe Three

Ubi send me those case parts!!