When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dissecting Mrs. Ubi's J12

ubiquitous

Mrs. Ubi has an uncanny knack for busting up watches; not even a month after picking up this J12 for her and she's already managed to crack the bezel insert :bangin:

IMG_4194.jpg

I bought her a new J12, but figured this old one could be a good parts donor. So, I decided to dismantle the case to see what I could salvage.

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5123.jpg

3 piece sandwich construction- Cool!

IMG_5127.jpg

IMG_5129.jpg

The bezel/crystal and movement are all one component:

IMG_5138.jpg

And the caseback seats to this unit, thus providing the sealing to the case:

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

The mid case ring sits in between:

IMG_5130.jpg

Unfortunately, upon closer inspection I discover that the mid case is a write off:

IMG_5133.jpg

Nice fracture going right through the lug end...

IMG_5134.jpg

But it is indeed solid ceramic!

Let's hope Mrs. Ubi goes a little easier with the new one when it gets here. I am somewhat relieved that this happened to a $250 rep and not a $4k gen!

Well, we know that the ceramic is pretty well resistant to scratching; perhaps this added rigidity makes for a case that is more prone to cracking as a result of it's rigidity?

To point out a similarity- Let's look at crystals. Acrylic crystals are soft and quite easy to scratch- Just looking at them could cause a scratch :lol: However, if you were to drop it, the acrylic seems to be able to absorb that impact better because it's relatively soft. Sapphire on the other hand is also resistant to scratching like ceramic, but is more prone to shattering; I imagine there's more tension in the rigidity.

At least, that's my theory on the matter...

Am surprised the ceramic cracked. Isn't it supposed to be like a really strong material?

If she hit it hard enough to shatter a bezel, she hit it hard enough to crack that thin part of the case. It must have been a very strong whack.