When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's Official; I'm An Idiot

verbal

The plan:

Buy a genuine ETA 7750 from the Bay and replace it with my -allmost dead- Asian 7750.

Seems to be such a simple plan, the movements are interchangable so it could be a walk in the park for a not so well educated watchsmith like myself...

The theory:

Unscrew caseback, remove stem, remove movement, remove hands, remove dial, swap datewheels, place dial, place hands, put it all together, shoot some pictures and show off on RWG.. :brow:

The practice:

The caseback and stem were easy, getting the movement out even more, getting the hands off isn't that hard...... unless..... one of the chrono hands is too tight and the damn thing simply breaks in two....

At that point I wished I'd never tried.. :unsure:

The result:

103721-25641.jpg

I'm left with perfectly fine Ti case with a perfectly fine Ti Bracelet and a Useless movement ....

I'll just go cry for a while and put myself together after a few drinks....

:wounded1::wounded1::wounded1::wounded1::wounded1::wounded1:

Well, that does suck, but isn't it just a matter of getting some new hands? Here is my list of things I've destroyed with this habit.

dials,

hands

various parts of movements like the keyless works or balance wheel.

crowns

case tubes

and that is just a list that comes to mind. so far, I don't think I totally messed up a crystal yet.

Of course you could always lash out £10 (or about the same in $) with Cousins or O.Frei (O.frei has a huge range of hands) on a set of Omega Moonwatch sub hands (the sub hands are the same shape) and you might have it on your wrist in no time!!! You would need to call Cousins/O.Frei and check the Omega hand post size (which for the Valjoux 7750 is 0.18mm). If the Omega hands do not fit then O.Frei has generic hands (almost the right shape) at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.ofrei.com/page965.html

You are not an idiot. You gave it a good try and once you settle down, you will research and fiind replacement hands. Then, things will look a lot better and you can chaulk one up for experiance.

Good luck.

Usil

Thanks , but I do feel stupid, I've had some practice on an old 3rd gen PO which went fine, but then again, these hands are a bit bigger.

I think I'll stress my bank account some more and go for a new GST and keep the parts for spare.. <_<

Anyone experienced enough to help me out on the next attempt.?

I have yet to remove or install hands but I ran across this tip (I believe at RWG) that should make installation a heck of a lot easier.

Illustration below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The way i found most convient to install the hand, is to take piece of paper fold it in middle put the hand on the fold, pickup the paper, and fiddle a bit so that the ... nevermind check the image...then hover the hole over the pinion, and use a hand setting tool to pres the hand.

A second tip by Edge: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=4855&hl=

post-191-1155843727_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jetsons