When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep watches aren't the only thing the Chinese screw up

fcaap_dan

That is quite funny but not rare - an ignorant racist. IIII is absolutely fine, as any ten year old should know.

I agree. The numeral "IIII" has a rich history, and an apocryphal tale is that it was the mistake of a king (although I don't know who) who had commissioned Swiss watchmakers to make a watch. It's also supposed to be a tribute to Louis XIV, who often marked his own title as "XIIII." I've also heard that is is done to balance out the number of V's and I's on the dial.

In any case, it's sort of messed up to blame the Chinese for this. We purchase watches from these guys, and yet we still begrudge them their talent and skill.

I think it's funny that when the West messes up, it's not criticized as much as others. Do the Swiss never mess up? I think not.

I think it's funny that when the West messes up, it's not criticized as much as others. Do the Swiss never mess up? I think not.

The difference is that when the Swiss mess up, they make the best of it and turn it into a popular brand. See also: Hublot.

Wow, you're stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I don't give a rat's ass about the whole racist thing. Hell, I'm asian and it didn't even phase me. It has more to do with the fact that you posted something-rather indignantly-without performing some sort of research. However, if you want to elicit the whole racial [censored] for tat thing...you are probably the load your mom should have swallowed.

IIII as opposed to IV is fine and the Swiss were the ones to originate it on clocks, watches, etc. I believe. It's supposedly done for aesthtics...

IIII instead of IV

Wasn't the Swiss* but yes there's absolutely nothing wrong with IIII instead of IV.

My family has a c.250-year old grandfather clock with a IIII on the ornate dial - somehow I don't think the Chinese reppers are responsible ;)

The irony of that supposedly funny photo and so-called punchline - maybe it needs another, second, black border around it with the standard "FAIL!" on it.

* Guess what? It was the Romans! Who'd have thought it. Of course back then it was sundials :D

Wasn't the Swiss but yes there's absolutely nothing wrong with IIII instead of IV.

My family has a c.250-year old grandfather clock with a IIII on the ornate dial - somehow I don't think the Chinese reppers are responsible ;)

I don't know, have they repped the time machine from Back to the Future yet?