When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hi All! Back from an epic family road trip

stilty

Just in case anyone was wondering where I've been....

With my recent downtime, we decided to pack up the kids and take them on a road trip. We took 3 weeks, traveled 3790 kms, with 10 stops along the way visiting family and checking out the sites. Who does road trips anymore? I know I haven't been on one in a very, very long time.

We left Vancouver and stopped in Sicamous, BC for a few days. (The houseboat capital of the world) No houseboats, but did go boating and swimming. Next stop was Calgary, AB, just in time for the Calgary Stampede. Weather was crap, but we made the best of it, and I even managed to get in a round of golf with the inlaws. After 4 days in Calgary, we headed to Jasper. The drive was stunning through the Rockies and the icefields! Highly recommended! A night in Jasper, then off to Prince George, BC. After a couple days there, we headed west. Off to Smithers for a short visit, then a night at a loveley B&B in Hazelton. Man is it beautiful country up there! The next day, we stopped for a visit to the village of Gitanyow to catch up on some history! Absolutely stunning! Then, a 1/2 day drive through the Skeena valley to Prince Rupert where we stayed overnight to catch a ferry. The next day, we took a 15 hour ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy. A nice day cruise through the inside passage on a brand new boat that was only in commission for about 6 weeks. Made in Germany, and I'm probably the only person who noticed that all the clocks on the vessel were from Wempe. LOL! We stayed over in Port Hardy and then drove to Tofino to wrap up our trip. The weather in Tofino was amazing! We even got our little girl (with some help) out on a surfboard. Took in some whale watching, drank a lot of wine and ate a lot of crab! Then we had to come home. An amazing trip that we probably won't get to do for a long time!

cheers!

Guest HaloArchive

Disney land should be okay once the youngest is at least 4-ish Ubi :)

Travel to Anehim, CA too while your at Disney Land to visit Lego Land!

Cheers~

H

Sounds great. You really can't beat CNA for prime real estate in North America. Being an American we try to down play CNA with Yosemite et al, but, you know; per square kilometre CNA is consitently better. Yosemite is purdy well nullified by Perth Amboy.

Travelling with a 2 year old kinda scares me though...

Sounds like your first? Kids travel better than the adults. DO NOT deprive the family. Do it!

Travelling with a 2 year old kinda scares me though...

Randy: I've traveled 2 solid months through Europe with my 2.5 year old at the time, Dems is correct, our little guy did better than his Mom & Dad! And at that age, you are not hearing "Are We There Yet" all the time.

Stilty: Envious, we loved Hongcouver BC, when you are from a tropical island, we tend to gravitate towards cities & mountains for our vacations it seems. Traveling with your kids is memories of a lifetime for both parents & kids. Congrats on a good trip.

Stilty: Envious, we loved Hongcouver BC, when you are from a tropical island, we tend to gravitate towards cities & mountains for our vacations it seems. Traveling with your kids is memories of a lifetime for both parents & kids. Congrats on a good trip.

Ahhh! and we love tropical islands! Love Maui. stayed in Kaanapali and Kihei, also time on Kauai... very chill, but a lot of rain.

If you're up for a house swap... let me know! We live in the city. 10 minutes from downtown Vancouver, and also have a cottage in Tofino. Good surf, but you need a wetsuit.