When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW 6263 bezel removal?

gplracer

Use either an un-serrated knife or a razor blade (a paint scraper works well since it has a handle to hold the blade) & carefully wedge it in between the bezel & case. Go as far as you can without force. Then rotate the watch & go at it at another location. Keep wedging the blade in around the circumference of the bezel until it loosens & eventually you should be able to remove it. Depending on how tight the bezel is, the process can take anywhere from a few seconds to 30 minutes. Be patient, careful & keep at it & eventually it will come off.

Ok the bezel is off and the new crystal is on. I am a nervous wreck but it looks good. After I got the crystal on the first time I saw two small pieces of lint. I then took it off and did it again. Now all I have to do is put the bezel back on. My question now is do all of the bezels require sanding on the inside and how do I know? I am going to put the steel bezel on but I do not want to crack the crystal. Should I be able to put this on by hand or should I use a case press? How much tension should there be? My bezel slides on and off of my other dw with the stock crystal if that is any clue as to its size. It would have to be glued on if I was using the stock crystal.

My rule-of-thumb is that you should be able to press the bezel about half way down the side of the crystal by hand only (no tools whatsoever). From there, you would need a press to secure the bezel against the case.

If the bezel can be pressed down all the way or removed by hand, it is too loose & will not press the crystal against the case walls sufficiently to keep moisture out. Unfortunately, aftermarket bezels are often either slightly too large or too small. There is not much you can do if your bezel is too large other than exchanging it for another (& keeping your fingers crossed that the next 1 is better). But if the bezel is too small, you can use a dremel (or your grinding tool of choice) to remove a SLIGHT amount of material around the inside circumference to get the dimension just right. VERY IMPORTANT - remove only a little material and then TEST IT on your crystal (mounted on the case). If it is still too tight, remove a bit more material & retest. If you remove too much material, you will be in need of a new bezel.

Good luck.

A gen should fit a gen case/crystal perfectly (following my rule-of-thumb), but I have never worked with a Vietnam-sourced Daytona bezel, so I cannot comment about that.

Thanks for the info. I guess if a gen crystal fits a DW (or Vietnam) case, then the gen bezel should fit around the crystal, so by extension, should hopefully fit the DW case. I would hope :)