When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super Franken 111

TK471

Not trying to pad the post count. I just got these pictures put together and I wanted to share. This watch has taken a ton of time, a ton of patience, and a ton of cash. Some would argue that I could have had a gen for the price. I believe, however, that this particular watch was never about the money -- it was about the chase. Many of you on the board have helped, some in getting parts, some in buying parts off of the old watch (i.e. LH dial, V crown guard, palp crown). It's been fantastic. I've had multiple gens of multiple brands, but this one is very special to me.

I decided to put this watch together upon learning that we were having a boy -- born July 16. I thought this would be a nice gift for him, and there would be an interesting story to go with it.

Basically, if you can see it, then it's gen. Gen dial, gen hands, gen crown guard, gen movement, etc., etc.

The caseback, however, is not gen. I will post a pic later, but it's a blank Jimmy Fu with sapphire. I wanted a blank caseback so that I could engrave my name, his name and his birthday on it. As soon as I find a trustworthy engraver, off she goes one last time.

So the pictures. I'll upload more in the near future, but this should give you an idea.

IMG_9326.jpg

IMG_9330.jpg

Movement.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, S. It is certainly a keeper.

All in, this was less expensive than a gen. Like I said, though, that wasn't the object when I set out to complete the watch. This was more about the search.

I'm now down to just this watch, in fact. It will likely be my last rep. My next watch will be an 24, and I've got just the occasion to buy that one. In the meantime, I am extremely happy -- and proud -- with this one.

That's a beauty. And I most certainly understand where you're coming from in wanting to build a watch like this... Something with meaning... For your son. I did the exact same thing (different brand) for my son and my daughter. To me, an effort like this carries more sentiment and emotion than any store bought gen ever could since the watch was built specifically for someone in mind. Just makes it that much more special, and the value goes beyond any dollar amount in my opinion.

Congrats on the fantastic news of your son, BTW. For me, life really began when my kids were born. Best time of my life...

Cheers!

Ubi

• 3 weeks later...