When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cost of 1665 full service in 1991 by RSC

Oyster

Movement service, new acrylic crystal, new gaskets, pressure test - $420

Case & bracelet refinishing - $ 0 :rolleyes:

New service dial - $ 225

New bezel insert - $ 51

New hands - $ 42

New crown - $ 39

New tube - $ 39

New second hand - $ 21

That was the price almost 20 years back, anyone know whats the inflation of cost now? :g:

post-17928-124911376506_thumb.jpg

The cost now for a 1665 service? A big fat ZERO..... ;)

Why? Because RSC won't "officially" service a 1570 or indeed any c.15xx movements anymore <_<

Looking at the manifest though I admit I'm surprised it's so expensive relatively speaking, aside from the fairly fixed prices for parts. Not at all dissimilar to the magnitude of what a current service appointment costs, which suggests to me that even with the replacement crystal lumped in there, there may have been some unitemised minor surgery required as part of the movt service (wheels, etc.).

However, the owner of that manifest must be kicking themselves now. Can't make out the serial but whether DR or GW by allowing that part swap, the dial especially, they've probably knocked a four figure sum off the value :shock:

You got it, Doc. My DRSD went to the RSC after it flooded at a mere 80' and they did some quick surgery to remove the salt water and get it running perfectly again. And that was with threats of severe bodily harm if they even THOUGHT about touching that original dial and hands.

Now? I wouldn't send it to a RSC if my life depended on it. There are far better, and cheaper, ways to keep these babies in top condition. :whistling:

You got it, Doc. My DRSD went to the RSC after it flooded at a mere 80' and they did some quick surgery to remove the salt water and get it running perfectly again. And that was with threats of severe bodily harm if they even THOUGHT about touching that original dial and hands.

Now? I wouldn't send it to a RSC if my life depended on it. There are far better, and cheaper, ways to keep these babies in top condition. :whistling:

My god, you actually took her down this year? :unsure:

And she FLOODED?! :shock:

I can just imagine you now, dripping wet, handing it over in the AD, all kitted out in Deliverance-style lumberjack and 'skins gear :p and gently "resting" your chainsaw and icepick on the counter whilst you explained your 'requests' :lol:

Seriously though, we all know official RSCs are now the very last people to acknowledge and appreciate the value of their own heritage, treating purists as almost weirdo perverts for wanting to keep their 'old' watches in original spec.

They think of themselves as this....

minkinweb.jpg

When the reality is much closer to this....

laidlawbutchers.jpg

Thanks for the heartfelt commiseration lads, but the flooding happened in the late 70s. The shape she's in now is how she's gonna stay. I was just commenting on how they'll try to change out treasured parts and how it is possible to stop them.

You just gotta look like you mean it when you say don't touch that dial. :ph34r:

Like The Zigmeister? :tu: