When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Day Date or Plan "B" :rolleyes:

timeflies

Considering the Day Date or Datejust with ETA movement (approx. $256.00) from Trusty or Perfect Clones. Plan "B" is an Orient Rolex Day Date look-a-like ($159.00) with an Orient "in house" automatic movement. Anybody willing to comment on the quality of these two movements? (I know that "in house" automatic movement is not a lot to go on but, maybe the price of these watches is some indication as to their quality)?

Considering the Day Date or Datejust with ETA movement (approx. $256.00) from Trusty or Perfect Clones. Plan "B" is an Orient Rolex Day Date look-a-like ($159.00) with an Orient "in house" automatic movement. Anybody willing to comment on the quality of these two movements? (I know that "in house" automatic movement is not a lot to go on but, maybe the price of these watches is some indication as to their quality)?

I bought the Datejust (with a leather band) from Trusty a couple of months ago. It is fast by 2 seconds a day--less than a minute a month--and that is acceptable to me.

It feels a bit light on my wrist (but perhaps because of the leather band), but other than that it has functioned perfectly.

It arrived 7 days after ordering (in the USA). No problems with the credit card charges either.

Mine has the ETA (Swiss) movement according to what I ordered. (I did not open the watch up to check--and I would not know how to identify it if I did.)

I bought the Datejust (with a leather band) from Trusty a couple of months ago. It is fast by 2 seconds a day--less than a minute a month--and that is acceptable to me.

That's within COSC specs .. as good as a real "Superlative Chronometer" swiss watch. I certainly hope that's acceptable to you ;)

I just checked out the Orient watches and the 21 jewel automatic movement looks OK. I would assume it's comparable to the Miyota 8215.

As for the supposedly eta movement from Josh or Trusty, well, who can say. I'd figure these days there's about a 75% chance you're getting a clone. But I have a clone movement that's held up fine for 2-1/2 years. Maybe you'll get a swiss eta, but they're becoming scarcer and scarcer. Basically you take your chances.

The Orient will be WR to 5 or 10 atm's- better than a rep. I couldn't find the Rolex D-D knock-off so I don't specifically know what the WR of the watch would be.

I would bet you'd have better luck with the Orient, but the reps are more fun.

It feels a bit light on my wrist (but perhaps because of the leather band), but other than that it has functioned perfectly.

It arrived 7 days after ordering (in the USA). No problems with the credit card charges either.

Mine has the ETA (Swiss) movement according to what I ordered. (I did not open the watch up to check--and I would not know how to identify it if I did.)

What specific Trusty Datejust did you buy? I was told that the Datejust I was interested in - all stainless with stick markers did not have lume applied anywhere on the watch; is this standard with the gen of this model? Thanks for you reply.

I just checked out the Orient watches and the 21 jewel automatic movement looks OK. I would assume it's comparable to the Miyota 8215.

As for the supposedly eta movement from Josh or Trusty, well, who can say. I'd figure these days there's about a 75% chance you're getting a clone. But I have a clone movement that's held up fine for 2-1/2 years. Maybe you'll get a swiss eta, but they're becoming scarcer and scarcer. Basically you take your chances.

The Orient will be WR to 5 or 10 atm's- better than a rep. I couldn't find the Rolex D-D knock-off so I don't specifically know what the WR of the watch would be.

I would bet you'd have better luck with the Orient, but the reps are more fun.

Yes, I have concerns about whether or not I'm buying real Swiss too. I contacted Trusty and asked the question, "Is the Swiss ETA 2836-2 movement in the Datejust you are selling

Swiss made?" The answer was, "It is a genuine Swiss movement." Can that mean anything but that the movement is Swiss made? I can faintly hear the words of an infamous person saying, "It depends what the definition of the word is, is."

ETA makes movements over in Malaysia/China, somewhere in the far east- they're not made in Switzerland, but they're still good movements- eta quality and serviceable. If you get one of those, you're good to go. All you can do is take a chance. But remember, ETA is no longer selling to every swinging dick out there, supposedly. Availability has been reduced.

Older gen DJ dials w/ stick markers would have lume dots at the ends of the sticks on the outside. Now days, I'm not even sure if the gen dials have the lume dots at the end of the sticks- the hands still have the lume. Here's a stick dial DJ from WM9- I can't see lume dots on it. Maybe the gen dials don't have them either. If you're on a nite mission, don't wear your DJ, wear your superlumed sub!

http://www.watchmaker9.tv/products/rolex_datejust_16220WGI.htm

ETA makes movements over in Malaysia/China, somewhere in the far east- they're not made in Switzerland, but they're still good movements- eta quality and serviceable. If you get one of those, you're good to go. All you can do is take a chance. But remember, ETA is no longer selling to every swinging [censored] out there, supposedly. Availability has been reduced.

Older gen DJ dials w/ stick markers would have lume dots at the ends of the sticks on the outside. Now days, I'm not even sure if the gen dials have the lume dots at the end of the sticks- the hands still have the lume. Here's a stick dial DJ from WM9- I can't see lume dots on it. Maybe the gen dials don't have them either. If you're on a nite mission, don't wear your DJ, wear your superlumed sub!

http://www.watchmaker9.tv/products/rolex_datejust_16220WGI.htm

Thanks everyone for your comments and recommendations; they have been very helpful.