When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with wireless router

jdkno

I have a D Link DIR 615 router at home and up until Monday or so everything was working great. Now the thing is giving me problems. My laptop shows 100% signal and that it is connected to the router, however the internet is a no go. I pulled the cable out of the router and plugged the lappy directly into the cable modem and it goes right to the internet so I know my modem is sending the internet to the router. I pulled the cat 5 cable out of my X box and plugged it into the laptop and did not get the internet so I have established that the net is getting to the router but the router is not passing it along via lan or wireless.

I have thought about hitting the reset button on the router and getting it back to factory defaults and setting it all up again but not sure if that would fix the problem.

There is also a button on the side of the router that if you press it it starts blinking blue and the only way I have figured out how to stop the light from blinking is to unplug it, wish I knew what that button was for.

So I have rebooted(not reset) the router, I have unplugged the cable modem for 5 min in order to reset it. Neither has worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at the configuration? It could have change! I believe the D-Links uses http://192.168.2.1 not unless you change it to your own IP scheme! Try to do this wired to one of the ports on your router!

If you can't connect to it with the IP you assigned to it, then something happend! Then its time to reset it!

My 2 cents!

Well, slightly off topic but oh well....

Reset the router, download the software from your router website or insert CD that came with it and follow the set up againn...The settings were probably erased.,., Easy fix

Well, slightly off topic but oh well....

Reset the router, download the software from your router website or insert CD that came with it and follow the set up againn...The settings were probably erased.,., Easy fix

I can access my routers settings, log info, ect. ect.

All the lights light up like they should, the router shows that it has an internet connection it just is not allowing anything connected to the router to access the internet.

I do not broadcast my SSID and my WAP password is 20 something charecters composed of all printable charecters so the chances of someone hacking into it and changing the settings are slim to none. No one in my house has the PW to the router to get into it to change the settings so there is no chances of that either.

I guess I will try a reset and set it all back up again tonight

No the same lap top I have been having. I do not have my router set up for MAC filtering. The router shows my laptop, X-Box, iPhone, and desktop are all setup to work with the router. Like I said everything connects to the router without a problem, but for some reason the router will not allow any devices to access the internet through it.

Are you sure you paid your internet provider bill? j/k smile.gif

I agree, time to reset the router

LOL Funny but that was the first thought that crossed my mind but my digital cable was still on and they are all through the same company. I did want to verify which is why I hooked the laptop directly to the modem and it went straight to the internet and any website I typed in. THe problem is def. with the router.

Man, there are a million settings and permutations of settings that can be wrong.

Has the gateway address changed in the router?

Did your service provider change the gateway address?

Do you have the right subnet defined for that gateway address?

Is the router attempting to do DHCP or DNS when you don't want it to (or vice versa)?

Do you need to expire/renew your DHCP leases?

Are you SURE its encryption agrees with your devices? (WEP/WPA)

Is it broadcasting on B band and your devices are all listening to G? Or N?

Perhaps the blue blinking light turns on bluetooth and it can only do one or the other, and the bluetooth connect definitions replaced the ones you had set up for WPA?

Can you ping the router? Can you ping some known web address? Can you telnet to the router with a port that *should* be open, to determine the router is listening to you?

Does the iPhone connect to the internet? I had a similar issue and found a great article called "Take control of your 802.11n Network". I found it when i was having endless and bizarre problems with my wireless network. I read an article where a university IT department was starting to have all sorts of weird issues with their wireless network system in the dormitories. Turns out, the iPhone's (which were becoming more and more popular with the kids) were screwing with the network, stealing odd amounts of bandwidth. Both my girlfriend and I have iPhones and each have a laptop. Her laptop is a G wireless card, mine is an N. Also have a PS3 and an Apple TV connected.

With the newer N routers, they can come configured incorrectly from the factory. There is an N + G mode, where it essentially dumbs down the N broadcast to the 2.4GHz spec. This apparently can cause weird problems. The internet worked on our iPhones, the G wireless laptop and the PS3. No go on my Apple TV and my N laptop. Only way I could get it to work 100% flawlessly was to have two separate routers (this was before they came out with dual mode, dual broadcast routers). So now I have one router that is set up to broadcast N only, and the second is connected via ethernet and is broadcasting G only. Everything works perfectly.

I also found it interesting, if you are running a Mac, to check out istumbler. Its a great program to show you the signal strength you are getting for each network you see, as well as show you the channel numbers the neighbors wireless set up is broadcasting over.

I can get the net on my iphone but not through wireless. If I try to get to the net on the iphone while it is trying to get the signal from my router its a no go. If I go into settings and turn wireless off the iphone will get online using 3G.

I have not changed any equipment prior to this all happening. Everything was the same last week(when it was working perfectly) to this week(when everything is going to hell) so it can't be an equipment/compatibility issue. The problem lies with my router itself(broken) or its settings(mysteriously being changed).

I think the easiest solution for me would be to reset the router and go from there. Worst comes to worst I think I have an older wireless router laying around that I could always try to use.

When you go into your router's MAC table does it show your iPhone as an active connected device?

If your phone is *really* connected/authenticated with the router then the internet block is happening in the router. If the phone is not connected, then your subnet changed or you're possibly out of DHCP leases.

If the router is blocking, then it's likely the gateway or its subnet have changed, possibly at your ISP.

If you can plug in directly and get internet, then they're handing you a new DHCP lease and your device is answering up to whatever gateway/IP/subnet they're using.

I bet the blue blinky light is the culprit, and it's changed some settings inside to make bluetooth work. Reset the router (write down your settings first) and you should be fine. In my Linksys gear I can save config files to reload later... see if that's possible with yours.

It shows my iPhone as connected to the router.

For example it lists the iPhone, X-Box, Laptop, and Desktop as all being connected to the router and shows the IP that the router gives to all of these devices like 255.XXX something or other.

The iPhone and the Laptop both show that they are connected to the router, never checked the X-box or desktop but there is no need as hooking the laptop up to one of the cables coming out of the router shows that the internet signal stops at the router.

So the signal comes from the cable company to the modem, if you hook directly to the modem you can get online, if you hook the modem to the router and try to get online from the router there is no internet connection.

The blue light, I had thought about bluetooth but that SOB is bright and flashes constantly if you touch it. To give you an idea, all of my structured wiring is inside of a hallway closet. If I hit the button and make it flash blue you can see the blue light coming out from under the door enough to light up about a 10' stretch of my hallway floor. I don't think it is bluetooth as once you hit it and it starts lighting up you can hit it till the cows come home and it won't go off until you unplug the router and plug it back in.

Also I never fooled with this button until last night where as the router has been acting up since Monday.

I think Nanuq is on to something, but if you enable your Wireless router for DHCP from your ISP, then everytime you reboot or turn in off and on, it should get the new Gateway and DNS IP addresses from your ISP! Is your wirelless router connected directly to your cable/DSL modem? Or is there a Switch in between? If you have a switch in between, that could also be the culprit!

You should really do a reset and use the standard/default config after that and test without re-configuring it first, see if you could go out. Try and ping google.com and see if you get a reply back and an ip address (means your DNS is working!), if it does then you should be good to go. Now you could configure it the way you want it!

Good luck!

Who is your ISP? And can you tell me the gateway IP address your router is set to right now? And the subnet mask... those numbers that start with 255....

My ISP is Cox Communications.

I am at the office so I don't have a way to access the gateway IP or the subnet mask #'s right now.

I could get them this evening for you Nanuq.

ETA: No switch involved. The cat 5 goes from the modem to the Internet port on the back of the router. The iPhone and laptop connect via wireless and the desktop and X-box are connected to the LAN ports.

On the front of the router there is a light that lights up green when there is a good internet connection. Unless I unplug the Cat 5 coming off of the modem the light is green showing a good connection. If I unplug the cat 5 coming from the modem it goes red.

The owners manual does not even show you what the button and blue light are for.

I've got the exact same wireless router as you. I have problems with my router about once ever week or every other week. It doesn't acquire the wireless signal, but I can still get the wired signal out of the router.

It says "connected, with limited access" but that does not get me to the internet. Sometimes it aquires it after about 5 or 10 mins. or so on its own.

Last night it did not aquire the signal all night long, so I pushed in the reset button. Had to do that several times and then it worked.

Don't know if you have access through the wired system on the dir615 or not, but if you do, then you should be able to do what I have been doing to get it running. I haven't reset my router back to defaults yet, but tempted several times, but the signal got through anyways without further setting.

Happens to me all the time just as you have described. I have a LINKSYS router and zero computer literacy. I just unplug the barstid's and modem's power chord(s), reconnect, let all the pretty green lights cycle back on and it works. Have you tried swearing at it?