When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fat Crown Questions

wombat247

Like many members here, I have a bunch of PAMs but there are two in particular that I wear frequently and would like to get proper crowns for them. The crowns are fine... really (not really)... they're just too thin now that I know better.

Here's my question- how do I know which crowns to get that will likely fit? Once I find them, how do I install them properly? Alternately, is there someone to whom I can ship the watches to have the proper crown installed and thereby avoid as many headaches as possible?

Wombat

Perhaps you should of posted this in the Panerai section. Anyway are yours auto or manual wind. Autos are 0.9 stems and the manual 6497's are 1.2.

Really you should think about trying it yourself.

The issues you might have, are your current stems could be too short and you might need to get a new one also some times the depth of the crown maybe different and the CG lever might some adjustment.

Its pretty easy stuff once you get going. It may be time to find a local watchsmith who is rep friendly otherwise sending them to someone can take quite abit of time and $$.

Try it and see. PAMs are really quite good fun to tinker with.

ST4

Wombat

Perhaps you should of posted this in the Panerai section. Anyway are yours auto or manual wind. Autos are 0.9 stems and the manual 6497's are 1.2.

Really you should think about trying it yourself.

The issues you might have, are your current stems could be too short and you might need to get a new one also some times the depth of the crown maybe different and the CG lever might some adjustment.

Its pretty easy stuff once you get going. It may be time to find a local watchsmith who is rep friendly otherwise sending them to someone can take quite abit of time and $$.

Try it and see. PAMs are really quite good fun to tinker with.

ST4

As much as I hate cross-posting, I'll do that- thanks for the tip. Do you have any sources for crowns?