When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removing gen Datejust Bezel (plastic crystal)

Brightight

I've tried searching on this, but the search doesn't seem to work as I'm getting every post with Datejust or Bezel or Remove! I have just received a gen case for a Franken DJ I am building and I want to remove the SS engine turned bezel and replace it with the fluted white gold one. Also the cyclops is not lined up so I will have to pop and replace the crystal. Is this a job I should be considering doing and are there any tips/tricks? Or should I be taking this somewhere they have a bezel remover?

Get yourself 1 of those paint scrapers that contain a razor blade. Wedge it in-between the bottom of the bezel & the case & slowly work it around the circumference of the bezel until it loosens & you can lift it off. You will need a crystal press (or a vice with a pair of nylon spacers) to refit it.

Thanks Freddy, I have some of those single sided razor blades handy, I guess they would do the job from what you describe? I think a cheap crystal press may be a good investment.............(the thought of introducing my precious DJ case to my greasy mechanic's vice is more than I can take!)

Thanks again Freddy, the razor blade solution worked perfectly. Ran round with a single blade, then two stacked, then it more or less lifted off. And once off the crystal was easy to reset, simply twisted round the small fraction required.

Secondary questions....................

The case turns out to be a '78 according to the serial and is in good condition. The rubber flat gasket on the back has been on too long and has deteriorated and left remnants of rubber on the case and the back. Is there an easy way to clean these off? I tried naptha, my favourite standby, but no luck. As it's a sealing surface I don't want to scrape. Also should the bezel have a rubber gasket? The case is not fitted with one, but checking on Cousins site for the case back gasket it is listed as 'Generic Bezel/Back flat gasket (29.287.105)so it made me wonder.

I have never used a gasket on a datejust bezel.

As for removing the remaining caseback gasket, you can try denatured alcohol & nail polish remover (do not get it on the acrylic crystal). Failing that, unless you have access to a good ultrasonic cleaner, you may need to gently scrape it off.