When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ooops ...how do you refit a second hand?

bob bean

Hello all,

Well I was doing a bit of aging to my cheap milsub (bleach, coffee, halogen that kind of thing), when suddenly the movement/dial & hands slips from my butter fingers and falls to the hard floor! :o

The movement still works thanks heavens.

Well the second hand has come free and I would like to refit it. I have attempted to simply push it back in, but have had no luck. Oh, the post-it note tip for picking up hands was useful.

I have done a search but not found anything too informative and the advance search still seems to be down.

So the second hand has a pin that will (hopefully) fit back into the pinion. But there already seems to be a pin in there and so I'm not having a huge deal of luck fitting the second hand back.

Have I, or can you, shear the pin?

I have included a few super sharp images as a reference.

Any advice is appreciated before I resort to the ball hammer. :bangin:

Cheers

Butterfingers Bob

1.jpg

2.jpg

Yes I'm afraid you've sheared the pin, the second hand has a hole for the pin to fit in. What movement does it have?

[edit] Should have said, the pin is on the end of the gear and to replace it you have to remove one or more of the bridges from he rear of the movement after removing the auto wind. If it is cheap 21J, just replace the movement, if an ETA, the parts are available. I'm not certain about the interchangeability of asian and swiss ETA's parts but I would guess most are interchangeable. Oh, and you can pull out the remainder of the pin from the second hand and use that again!

Yep a cheap 21j.

Oh well, It's probably cheaper buy a whole new watch than a new movement and new hands (I'll probably damage them getting them out and the pin out of the second hand), as well as picking up hand removal/refitting tools.

Live and learn, hopefully.

Cheers all for your input guys, off to price up tools, movement & hand set Vs. new cheapo.

Butterfingers out.

Yep a cheap 21j.

Oh well, It's probably cheaper buy a whole new watch than a new movement and new hands (I'll probably damage them getting them out and the pin out of the second hand), as well as picking up hand removal/refitting tools.

Live and learn, hopefully.

Cheers all for your input guys, off to price up tools, movement & hand set Vs. new cheapo.

Butterfingers out.

Bob, you'd probably get a 21J from Ajoe and there are plenty of tutorials about on swapping out movements, again Ajoe has a good one. It's a simple enough job apart from changing over the datewheel overlay. However you can also get an NN2813 movement which has more or less the correct datewheel so no insert change! Cousins UK have them pretty cheaply -

China NN2813 Movement NN2813M

Bob, you'd probably get a 21J from Ajoe and there are plenty of tutorials about on swapping out movements, again Ajoe has a good one. It's a simple enough job apart from changing over the datewheel overlay. However you can also get an NN2813 movement which has more or less the correct datewheel so no insert change! Cousins UK have them pretty cheaply -

China NN2813 Movement NN2813M

Cousins also sells them with shorter wheels than you need for Rolex reps. Ask me how I know. :(

I know their DG4813 (8413 or something) does not have the high wheels, I haven't tried their DG2813 but I bolted an NN2813 straight into a Noob Sub rep without any drama so I'm guessing that along with the Rolex datewheel, this may have the higher wheels.

I think I'll put this one in the " a lesson learned" file.

It has no DW

It is a cheap Milsub with an incorrect dial = "Oyster Perpetual Date" .

So I will wear it to the wrecking yard, cage fights and my blocking bullets with my wrists gig.

But will start a new project of building a 5513/5517 which is more accurate-ish. Or perhaps a comex 5514. or a....

cheers fellas