When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Spammers out phishing.

offshore

I currently have a car for sale on a www site.

Cannot credit the number of phishing emails I have received, trying to get my bank details, and PP account info.

The stories being told, range from a pro buyer in the UK purchasing for a client in Saudi, to an Amnesty Int worker, currently on assignment in the Sudan, all wanting to buy sight unseen, and even pay me over my asking price. :bangin:

The one common denominator is a request for my bank or PP details.

Thanks to my exposure here, it is not something I would fall for, however I can only imagine the number of gullible sellers out there, who just can't believe their good fortune :wounded1:

Interestingly, I have only been able to generate a couple of legit enquiries in a bit over a month. Compared to more than 20 of these phishing contacts!

Offshore

I don't think it is too smart. They then only need to crack your PW, or somehow reset it, and they can clean out any monies there.

They would also have access to your CC details!

And I wouldn't be looking to PP for any support, they would be looking after their own arses!

I'm not clear how these guys actually achieve what they do, but it won't be on my accounts.

O/S

Just let me know if you want to sell the new one.I'll be happy to give you say, 500 more than you paid for it :)

Considering I know what your selling why would anyone in the Mid East want the old girl? Hardly a collectors piece is she?

Then again there's a sucker born every minute I guess.

Which reminds me, anyone like to buy a bridge? Hardly used, great investment. No? How about the Sydney Opera House then? Ranwick race course maybe?

Col.

@JK,

I am not really savvy enough to answer that.

However it is obviously a problem, and I do know that PP is vulnerable.

Maybe these initial contacts are then followed up with stories of requiring a transfer of money from me for some obscure reason... I just don't know, or want to know.

What I do know is...no one in the UK could possibly want to pay me almost twice the asking price for a car worth only a few $k, to then have it exported to Saudi!

The shipping costs, would be more than the value of the car!

Offshore

Anyone here use 'Life Lock'?

I'm considering it. Not that I'm sloppy or overtly paranoid, but I just know myself. If I were to find myself in the percentile of people who's identity had been compromised I would blow a head gasket.

And for anyone here with kids, I was just reading a scam where thieves use the SS#'s of very young children to open up lines of credit. Obviously the parent would never, know not likely to be running a TRW on an eight year old. But when they grow up and apply for student loan, a car, or a home their credit is nill as it appears they defaulted on a sub-prime loan a decade before. Nuts.