When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM - "hardly" winding or setting time :(

warbird

Hi guys, I just received my brandnew PAM005 from a member over at RG.

The watch is beautiful (except for the logo on the dial) and especially the CG is a work of art.

Everything fine so far, but then I tried to wind the watch. It works, but it winds while clicking in irregular periods of time. So it takes me a while to get it running. "Phew", at least it runs!

But how on earth do I set the time?

Since this is my first PAM rep, I wasn't sure how to, since the crown wasn't able to be pulled out. By now I fear something might be wrong :(

So, in an act of bravery, I grasp my screwdriver and unscrew the beautiful crownguard. Still nothing. Only when I pull back the crown with a little force can I set the time and even then only sometimes.

In conclusion it seems to me that the stem (or the crown??) might be loose and that I therefore can neither wind the watch properly, nor set time.

Can someone help me fix this, without spending too much more money? (I can not return the watch, it's a private seller and I don't want any further risk)

By the way: Everything that could go wrong with this watch went wrong. For some mysterious reason the guy who sent the watch wrote 500$ on the customs form. (I don't know where he gets the figure from, I never even paid 500$), so customs decides to tax me ... 50POUNDS of VAT!! (80$) And since I didn't want to risk it to go back to asia and I was changing my adress end of the week, I had to accept the parcel :(

And now it's BROKEN! Please tell me that not all PAM reps are like that!

Cheers, Tim

First off all. The crown guard has a lever: put you finger nail behind it and pull it out to the (right)side of the watch. You don't need to unscrew the entire crown guard ;)

In regards to the time setting. You need to pull out the crown in 1 firm pull (don't yank). Don't be afraid, there's almost nothing that can go wrong besides pulling out the crown and stem completely. Than you know the stem release button wasn't screwed down thoroughly :whistling:

Good luck!

ouch! sorry to hear that you have to pay an extra 50 pounds on a watch that is not even properly working. As said you shud open the Cg lever first and then try to pull out the stem. Shud it not work you can send this to a reliable watchsmith who is located in Germany. Here is the link

Hope it all goes well

P.S. Next time you shud ask the seller to put in the dription watch to repair. Then they wont charge you any customs. Unfortunately, I have to share this experience but I have to pay 25 pouhnds on a watch worth 110 usd. Its like a rip off ;(

I went to see Shaun today here in London (will only be back in germany on saturday, which is why I couldn't just refuse the package) and he told me that the crown , which is really nice and thick, is "****ed", meaning that the button turns without turning the stem. He managed to tighten it, but he said he wasn't sure how long it would last.

At least it's running now and one thing's for sure: It's a terrific watch, except for the damned logo which is quite unbelievable! If they can do everything else the way they do it, why can't they just print the damn logo strait? Is anybody aware of a good 005 dial with a good logo?

Thanks for the help guys, Tim

Hi guys, I just received my brandnew PAM005 from a member over at RG.

The watch is beautiful (except for the logo on the dial) and especially the CG is a work of art.

Everything fine so far, but then I tried to wind the watch. It works, but it winds while clicking in irregular periods of time. So it takes me a while to get it running. "Phew", at least it runs!

But how on earth do I set the time?

Since this is my first PAM rep, I wasn't sure how to, since the crown wasn't able to be pulled out. By now I fear something might be wrong :(

So, in an act of bravery, I grasp my screwdriver and unscrew the beautiful crownguard. Still nothing. Only when I pull back the crown with a little force can I set the time and even then only sometimes.

In conclusion it seems to me that the stem (or the crown??) might be loose and that I therefore can neither wind the watch properly, nor set time.

Can someone help me fix this, without spending too much more money? (I can not return the watch, it's a private seller and I don't want any further risk)

By the way: Everything that could go wrong with this watch went wrong. For some mysterious reason the guy who sent the watch wrote 500$ on the customs form. (I don't know where he gets the figure from, I never even paid 500$), so customs decides to tax me ... 50POUNDS of VAT!! (80$) And since I didn't want to risk it to go back to asia and I was changing my adress end of the week, I had to accept the parcel :(

And now it's BROKEN! Please tell me that not all PAM reps are like that!

Cheers, Tim

I made a purchase of a ceramic type Pam and had the same winding problem and sent it back twice !!!

Finally, I opened the case back and found a screw and a movement retainer in the channel where the stem shaft travels.

A few shakes and the help of a toothpick and it is perfect.

I think the "watch elf" threw in the extra parts along with small bits of other debris.

the crown ... is "****ed", meaning that the button turns without turning the stem. He managed to tighten it, but he said he wasn't sure how long it would last.

In hardware shops they sell several glues specific to secure screws with damaged threads in damaged lodgings. Here in Italy they are called "frena filetti" (thread fastener) or "blocca viti" (screw blocker).

They come in different strengths, depending on if you plan to unscrew the screw again in a future or not.

Should your crown unscrew again, have a try with the strongest of these glues you can find (usually called "extra strong" or so). I used it on a couple of crown/stem assembling and had no problem afterwards. It even worked on blocking a stem uncompletely screwed into the crown.

Just, are you sure the only problem is that? It hardly explains the resistence you found on pulling out the crown.

Is that resistence gone now?